Re: My old computer died

All you can do is try. It may let you transfer the key over to your new
computer but, Vista is kind of finicky about that sort of thing..

Supposedly you can move your license from one computer to another, one
time only. So, again, it should work, but you'll just have to try and
see what it says.

Edit:
Colin Barnhorst;758502 Wrote:
If your Vista came preinstalled on your old machine then you cannot use
the
product key any more. In particular it would not work with retail
copies of
Vista. Also, preinstalled Vista is not transferrable to another
computer
even if the old one dies. Preinstalled Vista and the computer are one
product.

If you purchased Vista at retail you may use it on your new computer.
Just
how you go about doing that depends on what you are running on the new
computer now and whether your retail copy of Vista is an upgrade
edition or
standard...

Good call Colin, this would all be useful to know :p

--
Brian the King

  • Re: Office 2007 Home & Student activation issue
    ... Using a key from a retail version needs that retail version the key belongs to to be installed ... I have a product key for Home & Student. ... It seems to be a VISTA problem and the way I ... first one is in a window with a picture of a lady... ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: Upgrade Vista 32-bit to 64-bit
    ... There is no other solution to your request except to buy a full retail license and go through the trouble of installing it and all the drivers you'll need. ... Machines that are purchased with Vista pre-installed come with either 32-bit or 64-bit versions, but there is no way to change from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version, ever if you have 64-bit hardware. ... I have been told that you can reinstall Vista onto machines that originally came with OEM versions of Vista using retail media and activate using the OEM-supplied product key. ...
  • Re: Blog article on Vista EULA
    ... legitimate retail XP update/reinstall or transfer to another machine ... Microsoft support that view. ... The Vista RETAIL EULA only permits ONE transfer/install. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Which XP to use
    ... Right again, but if the drivers are not compatible with Vista, it is still, in a round about way, a Vista problem that wouldn't happen with XP. ... Retail can be moved from machine to machine and you get a support call or two for your purchase - but you paid for it - trust me. ... As for which OS (Windows XP Home, Professional, x64, Media Center) you should run - that would be decided by your needs and capabilities ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: activation of vista
    ... if you have a retail copy of Vista then you will have no trouble activating by phone should you decide re-install in future. ... With retail packs you can also transfer it to a new computer whereas with an OEM copy the software I tied to the first machine you install it on. ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ...