Re: Aero Icons Missing From Quick Launch

Use Notepad to recreate a 'Show Desktop.scf' file

1. Open Notepad and type or paste in the following command lines:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

The text needs to be exactly as shown - except that the capital letters
are optional.

2. Save the file to your desktop as Show Desktop.scf. To do so, click File
Save As... > at 'Save in', choose Desktop > at 'File name', type in Show
Desktop.scf > at 'Save as type', choose 'All Files (*.*)' > Save > close
Notepad.

The file has to be named exactly as shown, including the white space and the
capital letters. This is because the file name also has to serve as the
hover label (tool tip) for the new icon.

3. After step 2, you will have acquired a writing-pad icon on your desktop.
Using the right mouse button, drag the icon over the Quick Launch bar,
release the mouse button and, at the pop-up menu, left-click on Move Here.
Finally, left-drag the icon so it is next to the Start button, and that's
it, finished.

Aero is not as easy because your graphics mode may be disabling it.

"Steve Sohn" <SteveSohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Seems that there is no reference for missing "Show Desktop" or "Switch
Windows" icons.

These icons are SHORTCUTS, but I cannot find the location of the original
files. If I could find the original, executables, it might be possible to
re-create the shortcuts. Wonder if this is going to require a reinstall of
Windows?

"R. C. White" wrote:

Hi, Steve.

JW may be confusing video RAM requirements with system memory. See this
page for the official word:
Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/c33fe91a-9e6f-41f4-ae82-3ed2d5fa2fbf1033.mspx#EQC

SOME of the requirements are:
. 1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)

. 128-megabyte (MB) graphics card

My computer has an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-express card with 512 MB,
plus 4
GB of system RAM. Its lowest WEI score is 4.6 for Graphics (Desktop
performance for Windows Aero). I am not a gamer, and I'm very happy
with
that score. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Steve Sohn" <SteveSohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Sorry, JW, you are wrong. My previous ATI X800 card had less than
512mb
and I
had full Aero.

"JW" wrote:

Aero requires that your video card have 1GB of memory. Only the early
Betas
of Vista supported Aero with only with 512 MB of memory.
"Steve Sohn" <SteveSohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
My video card died, and I had to use an old card with very limited
memory.
The emergency card did not support Aero.

I installed a new ATI card with 512 MB onboard memory (a Radeon
HD2600Pro
AGP 8X card) which supports Vista.

I got the Aero scheme back - transparency, etc., but the icons on
the
quick
launch bar for 3D viewing of open windows or desktop are gone.

Is there a way to get them back?

  • Re: Aero Icons Missing From Quick Launch
    ... Windows" icons. ... Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero ... My computer has an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-express card with 512 MB, ...
  • WindowsXP memory error
    ... I am have a problem with my Windows XP. ... The regularly missing are the USB disconnect icon and the Webshots icon and ... Nvidia 5600 FX 256 mb AGP Video Card ... Network Card for shared high-speed internet connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • RE: WindowsXP memory error
    ... > Windows XP Memory error. ... > else or access the internet. ... > The regularly missing are the USB disconnect icon and the Webshots icon and ... > Nvidia 5600 FX 256 mb AGP Video Card ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Aero Icons Missing From Quick Launch
    ... Windows" icons. ... Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero ... The emergency card did not support Aero. ...
  • Re: Aero Icons Missing From Quick Launch
    ... To restore the Show Desktop icon, you could also just copy it from ... Aero is not as easy because your graphics mode may be disabling it. ... Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero ... My computer has an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-express card with 512 MB, ...