RE: Install Hangs for x64 Windows Server 2008 and Vista SP1 on ICH

Problem identified with both the "Native IDE" and "AHCI+IDE" modes of the
JMicron (JMB36X) onboard controller. Issue went away when I:

1. Removed all SATA HDDs from the JMicron
2. Disable the JMicron controller at the BIOS level
3. Use the "RAID+IDE" mode of the JMicron.

This last solution worked well for me. All 5 O/S'es can now use the 1TB
RAID on the ICH9R, and one or both HDDs on the JMicron (I'm currently running
the latter in non-RAID configuration). Apparently, the default SATA IDE
driver of Vista x64 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 cannot handle the JMicron;
and even JMicron's own Jraid.sys driver has issues when running "AHCI+IDE"
mode. Under the "RAID+IDE", I get NCQ and hot swap features, even when the
drives are not actually runing in a RAIDset.
-------------------
OS: WinXP SP3 x86, Win2003 SP2 x64 & x86, Win2008 x64, Vista x64 SP1
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core
Video: ATI HD 3450 PCIe with 512MB, with latest ATI Catalyst Drivers.
NIC: Marvell 88E8052 Gigabyte LAN PCIe
Mobo: DFI LP UT P35-T2R
Mem: 8GB (4x2GB Patriot Viper PC2-8500, 5-5-5-15)
Disk: 5 x WD 5001ABYS Caviar RE2, 500 GB each;
and Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ, 750GB (external enclosure, eSATA)
Raid: ICH9R 4xHDD RAID10 = 1TB
Other HDD: non-RAID config on JMicron SATA (running in RAID+IDE mode)
DVD: HP DVD Writer 1040r (IDE)

  • Re: Eide channel on ASUS P5E3 Deluxe not working.
    ... In addition to SATA on the m/b, ... EIDE channel to take up to two devices, ... With the Jmicron disabled they are not detected by BIOS. ... The main BIOS code module handles the Southbridge. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Master/ Slave
    ... Toward the back of the board: 1 JMicron on the board. ... Total 8 SATA. ... head access time, platter rpm, aureal density, on board cache size, ... Two hard drives exactly the same except for the interface ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Eide channel on ASUS P5E3 Deluxe not working.
    ... In addition to SATA on the m/b, ... EIDE channel to take up to two devices, ... With the Jmicron disabled they are not detected by BIOS. ... The main BIOS code module handles the Southbridge. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Eigenartige Probleme mit Pioneer-Brennern :-(((
    ... Nee wenn Deine Intel SATA Konfiguration nicht richtig funzt hat das keine Auswirkung auf den IDE Port des JMicron. ... Beim JMicron verwendest Du da die JMicron Treiber oder die Microsoft. ... Falls die JMicron ersetz die mal mit dem Standard IDE Treiber, dann lassen sich Brenner oft ganz gut auch damit betreiben. ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner)
  • Re: Commando BIOS setup
    ... bootup but the DVD can not write to the HD. ... Jmicron PATA Controller to. ... some IDE CD/DVD's so I ordered a new SATA DVD ROM with the mobo. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)