Re: not recognizing version

It sounds like you have a retail Vista dvd so perform an In-Place-Upgrade with no SP1 installed unless the Vista dvd is a very recent one and has SP1 integrated (it doesn't sound like it from your posts).

This is similar to XP's Repair Install. You must start Vista Setup from the desktop and then you proceed as in a normal upgrade installation. It will not disturb your apps, files, and settings but make a backup anyway. It will completely replace the OS with a clean copy and that should get rid of any corrupted files and catalogs. Those are usually the cause of Windows Update failures.

If you are using a laptop you must go onto AC (I think Setup will not let you proceed on battery). You will need to catch up with Windows Update again afterwards.

"SteveM" <SteveM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:357BFE46-C468-466A-8449-D9B4A61021B7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Removed sp1, reinstalled updates (failed) again tried to change product key,
said it was activated but key didn't change. Just to be clear, the original
load was an evaluation copy, never removed but installed over. It no longer
says evaluation copy in right corner, but numerous updates have failed. Have
reinstalled MS regsvr32 wintrust.dll

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/uninstall_sp1_beta.htm

Read the above link on how to uninstall Beta SP1, then install released
version SP1
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

.