Re: Right Click Crashes Windows Explorer

Hi Terry,

What about other shell extensions (not only Context Menu handlers). Have you
tried temporarily disabling them as well?

Secondly, see if the Event Viewer provides any clue on the Windows Explorer
crash. Click Start, type eventvwr.msc. Check the Application and System logs
(match the date/time when the crash occurred.)

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"Terry Smerling" <smerling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you for the quick reply. Before I posted I tried ShellExView and
disabled all non-MS context menu handlers, but the problem continued
nonetheless. Any other ideas?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
Hi Terry,

This is most likely caused by a third-party shell extension. See "Method
2" here:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"Terry Smerling" <smerling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Each time I attempt a right click to access the context menu Windows
Explorer crashes. This is true whether I use Explorer or PowerDesk Pro
7 as my file manager. As a result I am unable to zip files, rename
files or run executables as the Administrtor. The error message I get
is simply that "Windows Explorer has stopped working." I suspected that
possibly Norton 360 was the culprit, but I disabled Norton 360 and the
problem persists. I believe this problem did not start until I
installed Vista's SP1. I am running Vista Home Premium on a powerful
MicroExpress machine with ample RAM. Any ideas or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

  • Re: Right Click Crashes Windows Explorer
    ... What about other shell extensions (not only Context Menu handlers). ... tried temporarily disabling them as well? ... see if the Event Viewer provides any clue on the Windows Explorer ...
  • Re: Cannot right-click files or shortcuts in Windows Explorer or d
    ... shortcut, in other words) or using File menu with a non-folder object ... results in Windows Explorer failing and desktop re-initializing. ... over and the list is displayed, you need to spot the context menu handlers. ... If disabling one does not solve the ...
  • Re: Windows Explorer crashes
    ... so that the context menu handlers are displayed together. ... If disabling one does not ... Windows XP: Right click and delete opens the file: ...
  • Re: Problems with windows explorer
    ... so that the context menu handlers are displayed together. ... If disabling one does not ... Windows XP: Right click and delete opens the file: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: SP2 - Explorer delays?