Re: Switching Hard Drives

What you want to do is to CLONE your current HD to a larger HD.
This is a common need when upsizing your HD, and most HD
manufacturers have free utilities on their websites that you can use to
clone the contents of HDs of their own make. Otherwise, cloning
utilities such as Ghost, True Image, Casper, etc. can be used. Be
aware that you want to copy the MBR as well as all the partitions,
so be sure you're CLONING and not making an image file. Most
3rd-party utilities do one or the other best, although most claim to do
both, and it may not be clear from their terminology which is which.
For cloning, I find Casper 4.0 to be an excellent utility.

*TimDaniels*

"pumpingirony" wrote:
Is there any way to switch Vista from one hard drive to another?

I've recently purchased a new hard drive, considerably larger than the one
the computer came with. If possible, I'd like to avoid re-installing Vista
and just move it from one drive to the other so I can remove the original
drive (with its paltry 150 gb) and run Vista off the new 500 gb drive.

Is this feasible, or do I need to go the long way round and re-install
everything?

  • Re: best cloning method?
    ... It's called Casper XP. ... a dozen other cloning utilities, ... starting up the clone OS for the first time. ... you may be interested in Symantec's Norton Ghost 2003 program. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Cant get XP Professional to boot
    ... relatively simple matter to clone the contents of your boot HDD to the 1 TB ... basic disk-to-disk cloning for comprehensive backup purposes. ... Casper is a fine program IF you do a lot of cloning, ...
  • Re: Backup Software rcommendation
    ... Bill in Co. wrote: ... "The Casper 4 program does not have disk-imaging ... Cloning is best used to make an identical twin ... preferable since it has the ability to clone incrementally. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ghosting system to a different drive number & BOOT.INI
    ... hard drive, you don't have to do anything with or know anything about the BIOS's HD boot order, the boot.ini file contents, and which partition is marked "active". ... Just put the "parent" at the end connector of the cable and the clone-to-be at the intermediate connector, do the cloning, then remove the "parent" HD and put the clone HD in its place, and fire it up. ... In Casper XP, the MBR ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Switching From Norton Ghost 2003 to Norton Ghost 9.0
    ... When you say Casper creates an incremental clone that does not need ... Casper 4 is a disk-cloning program. ... a precise copy of the source HDD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)