Re: Dual booting Vista and XP such that the other is invisible?

sam;755342 Wrote:
My desired setup is very simple:

Dirve 0: Primary Partition for current XP, another Primary Partition
for a new install of Vista
Drive 1: The data drive

I absolutely must have the data drive, Drive 1, be the D drive. I
have a lot of applications that expect to find the data there and I
need to switch between the two OS's seamlessly (I am a software
developer and testing in both OS's)

I have tried installing Vista twice now and both times the D drive is
the XP primary partition. It looks like Microsoft is using the XP
partition as the boot partition, even when booting Vista. The XP
partition is first, so I am not surprised.

What I need is some way of booting up so that the partition that XP is
on is hidden, which I know is one of the states a Primary partition
can be in. Back in years gone by, I did this with System Commander,
but there has to be a less expensive (free) way of doing it today.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

sam

the way i do it is to create a 2 gig active partition then create the
the logical partitions and install xp then vista the 2 gig partition
holds the boot files only.

you would have to make the active partition larger as this is d drive
when booting into vista and xp then encrypt vista if your running
ultimate and you should have what you want

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69:D :D :D

  • Re: Reminder: Windows XP Runs Natively On Intel Macs
    ... "insert the XP CD or the Vista DVD when the ... partition, my current Vista partition, and the DVD drive containing ... This is why you have to select a boot volume in the BIOS. ... put the Vista install DVD in the drive, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 194
    ... Vista (running ubuntu) ... Ubuntu Gaming/Vista Partition ... and lets you install, but it never completes. ... GTA San Andreas won't work on my laptop while running vista (Even though I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: trying to put XP on a new Gateway laptop
    ... for daring to post the truth that not all software runs on vista 64. ... got same error message when tried to run XP CD install. ... Put original hard drive from the laptop into enclosure. ... PQSERVICE, 10 gig, 'unknown' partition NTFS no drive letter ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Uninstall Windows Vista and Install Windows XP
    ... I have Win Vista Premium installed on drive C, ... And to fix the boot loader. ... -Paragon Partition Manager Professional ... I deleted the Vista partition after a good XP install and when I rebooted I ...
  • Win XP SP3 no boot - black screen only...
    ... When I booted using the SP1 install CD ... the setup files loaded giving me the usual choices, enter Setup, start the ... The primary disk has one primary partition of the default ...