Re: Setting Up a Spanned Volume

Vista should have native support for the raid drivers
Only a stripe array will wipe all, a mirror wont - provided you create the
mirror using the corect hd to build from

"jamesph" <jamesph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I agree with DL however I also think you will need to create a raid driver
which is probably on your motherboard support cd (possibly under <make
JMicron JMB36X 32/64-bit RAID Driver> burn it to a floppy or usb device
and
install it during the vista setup when prompted...also you might need to
back
up all your data because setting up the raid on the two disks I believe
will
wipe the disks..ready for a clean install
--
jph

"DL" wrote:

If you set up a stripe array, you will have to do this from scratch, ie a
new installation.
If one hd fails in the array you will lose all files ie everything on the
drives.

You have to set up the array via the raid bios consol.
For a stripe array, you then install your o/s and programms.

"ejames" <ejames6342@xxxxxxx(donotspam)> wrote in message
I have Vista home premium installed on my Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600
laptop.
have two 80GB hard drives with C:\ setup as a RAID drive.

After installing Vista the two drives show up as C:\ and E:\ whereas in
XP
Service Pack 3 they showed up as one spanned volume C:\ totalling
160GB.
This
is the way I want it to show up in Vista. My question then is how do I
achieve this? My second hard drive was empty so I reformatted drive E:\
thinking that I would be given the option to create a spanned volume,
but
it
is greyed out . . . When I open my Toshiba RAID console, it shows two
hard
drives but Drive C:\ or Disk 0 is listed as RAID whereas drive E:\ or
Disk
1
is listed as "JBOD (Not RAID)".

I'm at a loss as to how to fix this and was also wondering if it is
best
just leave it as it is. What are the advantages/disadvantages of
setting
up
one RAID spanned drive?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give!

--
Elizabeth James

  • Re: AHCI Implementation
    ... for Vista but since I don't use Vista anymore, ... for AHCI mode with multiple SATA drives? ... stick with IDE or Raid but AHCI has become a personal thing!! ...
  • Re: Best way to switch O.S. from MCE2005 to Vista?
    ... It may depend on your Raid - is it a software raid such as Windows already ... it to import the drives. ... manufacturer to make sure its Vista-compatible...may need new drivers, ... but a recent install on a PCChips motherboard ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Vista 64 Home Premium Installation on RAID
    ... Recently got a new system with Vista Home Prem 64 SP1 on ... Set up RAID in BIOS with the RAID ... F10 to add 2 SATA drives into single ... Install location. ...
  • P4C800-E Promise RAID problem
    ... I am set up to boot into any of four Windows operating systems -- one Win2K, two WinXP, one Vista. ... It was slow, slow to load, and then it began running CHKDSK on my K: drive -- the RAID array. ... I figured Vista would probably have no problem with the drive as it had installed something in the RAID array that only it was now able to deal with. ... The first thing I did was copy all the files I could off K: and onto other drives. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Dell Vista upgrade wont Activate says key is already in use after re-install
    ... Install Vista -- when it asks for a product id, ... I am not sure if your RAID changes can cause this. ... themselves were left as non-RAID drives. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)