Re: Undocumented Directx 9.0c Installation issue

You cannot install DirectX 9.0c in Vista because Vista already contains DirectX 10, which replaces all prior versions of DirectX. No solution offered by the Microsoft web site will allow you to install the older version of DirectX over the newer.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@xxxxxxxxx

"Jonathan H" <Jonathan H@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:BB8DBA82-28EE-4023-B066-9E89B8A1E1FE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all, I have a brand new latest Intel chipped nVidia SLI PC with Vista Home
Premium 64 bit OS. I am trying to update DirectX to 9.0c and get an
installation failure which states "A cabinet file necessary for installation
cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and
the cabinet file certificate is valid".

So, I have:

1) Checked that the Cryptographic Services are set to automatic
2) Run DXWebSetup as Administrator
3) Used RegSvr32 across all the crypto DLLs.
4) Unchecked the Certificate check boxes in IE / Tools / Options /
Advanced....
...all to no avail.

I cannot check the validity of the cabinet file certificate as it is
probably on-line and I have no idea where it is!! What is frustrating is that
all Vista Drivers are signed by my companies Time Stamp Server....maybe the
certificate on this cabinet file has expired....anyway - can any one help?
This must be a common problem (judging by the forums) but there is no
Microsoft documented solution.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

  • Re: Cannot Install DirectX
    ... install because 'A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be ... the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is ... DirectX, depite the file coming from the microsoft website and going ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)
  • Re: Knights of Honor wont start!!!!
    ... Vista out of the box is missing some Directx files to DX9 that some older games need to run so if you go download dxwebsetup.exe from Microsoft web site it will update DirectX and install the missing files. ... I have that game but don't have it installed on Vista. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic)
  • Re: D3DRM.DLL not loaded
    ... allowed to install DirectX runtime DLLs by running the setup package. ... The setup package won't install this DLL on Vista. ...
  • Re: Vista 64 Directx 9 Problem
    ... Do you have another computer with Vista installed on it? ... Oh and not trying to say you don't know what you are doing but that dx installer I sent the link for can be used for all version of Windows, 32 and 64-bit so if you are still getting that same error with the file I pointed you to while right clicking it and running it as administrator then you might be right about your OS being corrupt. ... This version of DirectX is NOT compatible with your version of windows".... ... Can I manually install the dll files that I need????? ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: installing DirectX 9.0c
    ... I downloaded the DirectX 9.0c file and was ... > trying to install and i recieved a message saying "A cabinet file ... Can soemone please tell me what i ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.directx)