Re: How to install Vista upgrade without XP on disk

If you're wishing to have a completely fresh copy of Windows Vista on
the computer and do not yet have Windows 2000 or XP installed on the
computer you can do one of the two below recommendations. Both of these
options will require that you install an OS twice. We recommend for most
users to follow the first workaround recommendation.

Boot the Windows Vista CD and start the Windows Vista setup.
When prompted to enter the product key for activation do not enter your
activation key and click Next.
You will then get a Install Windows prompt asking if you want to enter
your product key now. Click No.
Select the edition of Windows XP you've purchased, check the box "I
have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased" and click Next.
Once the Setup has been completed and you're in Windows Vista start the
Windows setup again either by ejecting and entering the CD again or by
double clicking the CD drive in My computer.
During the Windows Vista setup when prompted for the activation key
this time enter it.
When prompted to do a Upgrade or Custom install select Custom and
perform a clean Windows Vista install.
or

Delete the partition and reinstall Windows 2000 or Windows XP using the
2000 / XP CD.
After 2000 or XP has been installed update the operating systems with
all the latest Windows updates
Then Install Windows Vista Upgrade or do the Custom install and perform
a clean Windows Vista install.
Or if you have Windows 2000 or XP installed on the computer, but want
to have a clean install (removing all settings and programs) during the
Windows Vista install select the option for Custom install during the
installation.

--
JColt

  • Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073715
    ... It always comes back OK after re-booting, but it is annoying and doesn't give me good feelings about the stability of Windows Vista. ... You stated that you tried " running the download installer package ". ... After rebooting, I tried again to install KB 938371, once through Windows update and once through running the downloaded installer package. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Unexpected recurring but very intermitant ding.
    ... Core task of the Windows Vista Task Scheduler. ... During that clean install process, let Vista update and that can take more ... Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 7.00.6000.16386 * ...
  • Re: Error Code 80073712 - Windows Vista SP2
    ... Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2. ... beginning the install. ... Firewall _before installing or uninstalling_ Vista SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
    ... I wanted to install a firewall program but haven't done so. ... Did you upgrade to this McAfee application from an earlier McAfee application? ... and Support through email, it says "An unknown application error ... 'Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: MSWord2000 and Vista
    ... WordPad has been included with the last several versions of Windows, not just Windows Vista. ... But you can download and install the free Word viewer from and use it to view and print your Word 2000 files. ... The old files came over fine, but all documents that were originally in Microsoft Word2000 format are now in some other format that can best be described as gibberish. ... Is there any way to obtain a product key that will allow me to install MSWord 2000 on my new DELL? ...