Re-installation of Vista Ultimate

Vista Ultimate became corrupted due to interfering downloads that affected
both Vista Ultimate and Trend Micro Internet Security. After several attempts
to fix the problem I decided to re-install Vista Ultimate. In the process of
re-installation one of the tutorials stated that a folder would be made of
the Old Windows. (Windows.Old) This did not occur.

Question:

How do I download/secure the files that are located in the Old Windows?
When booting the PC I have a choice of selecting the Old or New Windows. I
can't access the Old Windows with out using "Safe Mode".

The previous windows such as XP overwrote the corrupted windows and kept the
files. Vista just creates a new operating system and ignores the corrupted
Vista.

I tried the Start button and wrote in "drive:\windows.old but nothing
happened.

--
MWPBall
.