Re: Restore a Backup on smaller partition

"aaa222" <aaa222@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:B285B128-55C6-40C7-8D54-4040141D997A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is it possible to restore my computer on a smaller partition when I used the
Vista to create the original backup of my entire computer?

I am trying to make room for XP again but the backup is the entire hard disk
with vista on it.

This is heavily dependent on what program you used to make the backup, and unfortunately, you don't mention this.

Some of the MS full-backup-restoration activities start with wiping the disk. So it's important to know if yours does this.

An alternative is to get a larger hard disk. Where I am, half-terabyte disks are now around $85.

HTH
-pk

  • Re: WELL AND TRULY OT: Computer Advice
    ... I notice that this situation is particularly pronounced with Windows for Mac, ... At a guess your machine is either short of RAM memory or the hard disk is ... backup are those that have lost everything once. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Fully updated system with up-to-date AV now hacked!
    ... a different hard disk to preserve those backups in case of file system ... It's definitely set to boot from the hard drive first. ... could then be used thereafter to backup this repeatedly victimized host. ... Comodo Time Machine is probably easy enough for a boob user ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: External HDD vs Reinstall XP
    ... "Backup is a computer user's best friend." ... "If I shut down without using the icon to close down the external drive, will I lose the data on that drive?" ... The objective of write caching is to free the fast PC from the slow mechanics of the hard disk. ... First reinstall Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Escaping Data Rot
    ... data is on a hard disk system. ... No spinning storage device comes within an order-of-magnitude of commercial tape media in terms of durability and lifespan. ... There's a good reason that literally all enterprise-level backup schemes use tape libraries instead of a rack of drives. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: External HDD vs Reinstall XP
    ... "If I shut down without using the icon to close down the external drive, will I lose the data on that drive?" ... The objective of write caching is to free the fast PC from the slow mechanics of the hard disk. ... First reinstall Windows. ... I'm simply copying and pasting these various data onto this drive as backup in case the system goes down and I have to reinstall XP for some reason. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)