Re: Re-Installation of Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

Okay... for what it is worth:
I did not receive an installation disk with my HP laptop. So, there's no
SLP that I can take advantage of when restoring MY computer.
When I re-installed my OS, I used a standard DVD (recovery partition
corrupt) and entered the Product Key on the bottom of the computer. That
required a phone call with a representative to activate.

Another time, after having my recovery partition restored and it going
corrupt again, I found that copying the product key and license file from
the computer before wiping it, installing Vista with a regular DVD, then
restoring the product key and license file put it back to normal (HP OEM)
without requiring activation.

Funny, the product key on the installed and activated HP computer is not
what is on the bottom label of the computer.
------
So, if you use the Product Key on the bottom label and a regular DVD,
you will be on the phone to activate.
Beyond that the OP didn't give a lot of details, so make any other
assumptions you would like.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I believe HP uses SLP technology. If so, activation is not even an issue.
The supplied dvd will not install Windows on another computer so I suspect
they are using SLP.

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As long as the recovery partition is intact, the "extra" activation file
HP
installs remains intact no longer requiring activation. If the recovery
partition is corrupt or removed, then online activation will be
required.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
If it is preinstalled it may not even require activation. My wife's HP
laptop doesn't require entry of a product key or activation no matter
how
many times the OS is reinstalled from scratch, either from the recovery
partition with F11 or by booting with the dvd that shipped with the
unit.

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As Mike stated, your license remains valid for both OS and
applications.

Just a note:
If your OS came pre-installed, then it is most likely OEM. And, if
OEM,
then
re-activation gets a bit stickier. Microsoft does not have to help
you.
They
will in most cases for reactivation, but they may defer you to the
maker
of
your computer. Be prepared for online activation to fail. You will
have
talk to a real person if it is OEM.

I'm not sure Office 2003 allowed multiple installations (like 2007.)
Either
way, it will definately re-install on the same machine.

"Sidd" <Sidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,
I am facing problems with the registry of the OS. When I install new
software, I get some unusual error messages pointing to registry...
When
try to uninstall old software, it leaves traces of the software even
on
the
Start up Menu.

Can I do a format of the entire hard disk, reinstall Vista Home
Premium
(32
bit) again ?? Will it consider my old license or do I need to
purchase
an
additional license ?

If I do a clean installation of the entire OS, what will be the case
for
Microsoft Office Student Edition 2003 ? Will it consume additional
license
if
I clean install it ?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Sidd.

  • Re: Re-Installation of Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
    ... I have done both the F11 and used the supplied dvd in order to deal with a critical system error that was occuring. ... In neither case was there an opportunity to enter a product key nor was activation ever required. ... I used VMWare Workstation 6 to create a 64bit virtual machine and when I tried to use the dvd to install VHP x64 in it the installation halted after loading files with the message that the software could not be installed from the dvd on this machine. ... > installs remains intact no longer requiring activation. ...
  • Re: Installing Vista Ultimate w/sp1 over Home Premium w/sp1
    ... Your Not For Resale product key is a standard retail full edition key. ... Since all dvds are the same, someone else's retail dvd will work just fine regardless of whether they purchased an upgrade or full edition product key or what edition their pk is for. ... You can, of course, use their dvd to perform a clean installation of Vista Ultimate if you prefer that, since you have a full edition product key. ...
  • Re: Problem with XP Pro serial
    ... I did manage to install xp on my toshiba using the Dell OEM. ... After the installation, windows ... activate with of the two serials (1st from back of my laptop, ... Tried a generic OEM CD with the product key off the sticker on the laptop? ...
  • Re: Invalid Product Key for Windows XP Pro, referred to newsgroup by MS Rep
    ... Depends on the OEM for the hardware as to whether it will install or not on ... stop at the product key if that was the issue. ... | Subject: Re: Invalid Product Key for Windows XP Pro, ... |> What installation CDare you using? ...
  • Re: Will Changing Hardware cause problems
    ... I would like to upgrade to new MB, processor, video, and ram. ... Can I upgrade these core parts, and simply re-connect the HDD with WinXP on it and have it work, or will I need a fresh install, or any use of the Windows CD? ... Normally, and assuming a retail license (many factory-installed OEM installations are BIOS-locked to a specific motherboard chipset and therefore are *not* transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair installation, at the very least: ... If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)