Re: Re-Installation of Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

Okay... for what it is worth:
I did not receive an installation disk with my HP laptop. So, there's no
SLP that I can take advantage of when restoring MY computer.
When I re-installed my OS, I used a standard DVD (recovery partition
corrupt) and entered the Product Key on the bottom of the computer. That
required a phone call with a representative to activate.

Another time, after having my recovery partition restored and it going
corrupt again, I found that copying the product key and license file from
the computer before wiping it, installing Vista with a regular DVD, then
restoring the product key and license file put it back to normal (HP OEM)
without requiring activation.

Funny, the product key on the installed and activated HP computer is not
what is on the bottom label of the computer.
------
So, if you use the Product Key on the bottom label and a regular DVD,
you will be on the phone to activate.
Beyond that the OP didn't give a lot of details, so make any other
assumptions you would like.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I believe HP uses SLP technology. If so, activation is not even an issue.
The supplied dvd will not install Windows on another computer so I suspect
they are using SLP.

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As long as the recovery partition is intact, the "extra" activation file
HP
installs remains intact no longer requiring activation. If the recovery
partition is corrupt or removed, then online activation will be
required.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
If it is preinstalled it may not even require activation. My wife's HP
laptop doesn't require entry of a product key or activation no matter
how
many times the OS is reinstalled from scratch, either from the recovery
partition with F11 or by booting with the dvd that shipped with the
unit.

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
As Mike stated, your license remains valid for both OS and
applications.

Just a note:
If your OS came pre-installed, then it is most likely OEM. And, if
OEM,
then
re-activation gets a bit stickier. Microsoft does not have to help
you.
They
will in most cases for reactivation, but they may defer you to the
maker
of
your computer. Be prepared for online activation to fail. You will
have
talk to a real person if it is OEM.

I'm not sure Office 2003 allowed multiple installations (like 2007.)
Either
way, it will definately re-install on the same machine.

"Sidd" <Sidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,
I am facing problems with the registry of the OS. When I install new
software, I get some unusual error messages pointing to registry...
When
try to uninstall old software, it leaves traces of the software even
on
the
Start up Menu.

Can I do a format of the entire hard disk, reinstall Vista Home
Premium
(32
bit) again ?? Will it consider my old license or do I need to
purchase
an
additional license ?

If I do a clean installation of the entire OS, what will be the case
for
Microsoft Office Student Edition 2003 ? Will it consume additional
license
if
I clean install it ?

Let me know.