Re: Vista on 256 MB RAM

"bobblehead1706" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:36bc4c3a07ed040f19fe78c4898a6493@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I run Vista home basic on 512MB...on a P4 3.2. If you plan to run
anything more then ONE application at a time...don't bother. It becomes
very frustrating. Running XP with 256MB is completely fine and things
run smooth. I've had to install XP just to get the speed back.

Number one... ram is **incredibly cheap** these days.

Number two... it takes an average of 256 just to keep XP open and running,
so you're probably in a constant state of using the page file which is likely
contributing to a slow performance standard on your XP.... 512 is ok, but
often this is easily consumed.

  • Re: [9fans] Google finally announces their lightweight OS
    ... Why bother with Plan 9, ... book critiquing modern software development for failing to ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Why is the so-called Christian right-wing against health care?
    ... That's sort of a specious argument, since a lot of legislation is created without the breadth nor scope of same explicitly indicated in the Constitution. ... plan is to provide for people who aren't contributing anything. ... The benefit of the new plan will help ensure that hard-working families -- who pay taxes but can't afford private health insurance -- will have access to adequate health care. ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: Fistfight
    ... Mentally I was there, in that I wasn't afraid, and I was ... able to keep a plan. ... Getting punched a lot doesn't bother me, ... could either learn to better detect/deflect incoming punches, ...
    (rec.martial-arts)
  • Re: Fistfight
    ... Mentally I was there, in that I wasn't afraid, and I was ... able to keep a plan. ... Getting punched a lot doesn't bother me, ... In retrospect, do you wish you had used a weapon? ...
    (rec.martial-arts)
  • Re: [patch 00/54] [Announce] Microsoft Hyper-V drivers for Linux
    ... It is my plan to use the kernel as my primary development area, ... Continue to provide Greg with updates. ... To make sure if fulfills all Kernel coding standards and requirements. ... Then I will start contributing new functionality. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)