Re: Home Premium Upgrade to Ultimate Using Family Offer Plan License

The additional licenses that came with the family upgrade offer were to upgrade an existing system to Windows Vista Home Premium. Unless the licenses say they're specifically for Vista Ultimate, you won't be able to use those licenses to upgrade.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@xxxxxxxxx

"DocB1973" <DocB1973@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:F1CC26DE-0E53-4C57-8949-3FC5F0700551@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In 2007 I purchased the Vista Ultimate upgrade retail package along with two
additional license through the family offer plan. I am not currently using
the additional licenses. Last month I purchased a Dell notebook PC with
Vista Home Premium. I attempted to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista
Ultimate by using the retail DVD and one of the license from the family offer
plan. Everything works up to the point where I am to choose between an
upgrade or a clean install. The upgrade is grayed out and a message appears
that says the upgrade is disabled. I really want to upgrade versus a clean
install because of the many software packages I would have to reinstall.

Is it possible to do what I am attempting to do? Appreciate any help as all
your online information tells me this can be done.

Thanks - Doc

  • Re: Photo Slide Show Missing in Vista 64
    ... Any change from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install, not an upgrade. ... During the clean install, all the 32-bit drivers get wiped out; ... Vista Home Premium 64 so I upgraded it. ...
  • Installing Vista Home Premium 64 bit Upgrade
    ... I purchased Vista Home Premium 64 bit Upgrade from Windows ... the DVD I can clean install. ...
  • Re: Upgrade from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 fails...why?
    ... 'after the upgrade, you will only have 5 licenses'?. ... would be application of SBS SP1, and that is known to be problematic unless ... > back to 5 before continuing with the installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2003 R2 Licensing
    ... When you upgrade with CD2 to ... Second, As long as you are tracking your total licenses, there should ... "For the R2 you have to use a new server license." ... Django Smith ...
  • Re: Motherboard upgrade
    ... > Is it a safe thing to do to upgrade your motherboard under Windows XP? ... and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours ... one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)