Re: Installing Vista over 64 bit XP?

You must perform a clean installation of the operating system.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based
computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rory" <Rory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:50B26883-7144-43EE-A244-C486AE75D898@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm heavily considering upgrading to Vista but currently i am running the 64
bit version of XP. According to Microsoft I therefore have to do a completely
fresh install to upgrade to Vista, i really really do not want to have to as
i want to keep my documents, settings and applications installed. Is there
anyway to simple upgrade my copy of windows without having to do a whole new
install?

Any help is appreciated.

Rory

.