Re: Installing Vista over 64 bit XP?

You must perform a clean installation of the operating system.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based
computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rory" <Rory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:50B26883-7144-43EE-A244-C486AE75D898@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm heavily considering upgrading to Vista but currently i am running the 64
bit version of XP. According to Microsoft I therefore have to do a completely
fresh install to upgrade to Vista, i really really do not want to have to as
i want to keep my documents, settings and applications installed. Is there
anyway to simple upgrade my copy of windows without having to do a whole new
install?

Any help is appreciated.

Rory

  • Re: Old computer with little memory...bigger page file help?
    ... hardware is the cause of the slow/poor functioning of the pc. ... Windows 98 runs on any and all combinations of FAT32, ... an upgrade installation to XP ...
  • Re: upgrading to windows xp professional upgrade error
    ... I tested WinXP on a 500 MHz ... select "Windows Classic." ... download and run Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any ... HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fresh install
    ... As a computer technician, you'd already know that the WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software application compatibility. ... Granted, many uninformed people do recommend that one always perform a clean installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. ... One would save a lot of time by upgrading a PC to WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if there're no hardware or software incompatibilities. ... Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Code 80070490 what is this ----- Solved
    ... My problem with that solution was in step 7 (method for Windows Vista), ... How can I do a repair installation? ... "To perform a repair installation of Windows Vista or of Windows Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: How can I upgrade to xp via group policy?
    ... The WinXP upgrade ... Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit: ... > point I get an error msg "The installation source path specified in Setup ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)