Re: cant install windows server 2003 on vista

cpower03 wrote:
everytime i try and install windows server 2003 enterprise edition on vista. it gives me the error " setup cannot run in program compatibility mode".

Well, of course you do. You can't install a server OS from within a workstation OS. It's not a supported upgrade path. You'll have to boot from the Windows Server 2003 disk, format the hard drive (unless you're contemplating a dual-boot), and proceed from there.

ive tried installing from the disk when booting but it wont work since i dont have hard disk drive

Then the Windows Server 2003 installation package lacks the necessary device drivers for your computer's IDE/SCSI/SATA controller. Obtain those from the computer manufacturer and have that disk ready to insert when prompted.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

  • Re: hardware requirements for SBS
    ... I want to install SBS in a small office environment and wondered if anyone ... ISA server (havent understood yet the advantages of ISA of windows ... tot up how much disk space you realistically think you will ... What is probably more important than any form of raid is a good backup. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: AD & DC Recovery, Single DC
    ... It would get installed during the install of W2KS ... including asking for the driver disk. ... well as the ability for user Backup to log into the server. ...
  • Re: server being a pain...
    ... fine on the disk and that it is ok. ... server for music sharing around the house... ... when i ask it to install an ftp server ... What is the EXACT error message? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Windows 2000 Administrator lockout
    ... as long as a recognized disk controller is present. ... Install the appropriate ... > again and logon as administrator again. ... web too i have try the software to crack the password in one of my w2k server using scisi HD ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970
    ... on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 server. ... WinXP laptop and burned a few disks. ... Inserted Ubuntu 8.04 Server AMD 64 disk I burned a few weeks ago. ... install and all went well through partitioning. ...
    (comp.os.linux)