Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd

Even the updates may not be a big deal if Vista SP1 was preinstalled.

"Masterbowl" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:25a826f6022dcd5593a2005ebfee9fd2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Colin's response is 100% spot on. Pre-installed systems without discs
are often factory-installed in a hidden partition on the hard disk.
Your documentation will possibly tell you which " f* " key to press on
initial boot (it may also be displayed on the pre-windows screen on
boot, just after memory test).
Be aware this will do exactly what it says - restore Vista to EXACTLY
as it was when delivered. It will re-format the C: drive, thus wiping
ALL the data, drivers and updates installed since you originally got the
pc.
In my experience (with ACER pc) this re-install process is relatively
simple, requiring minimal user input. However, it's the subsequent
updates that are the pain - you will need to download/install all the
Vista updates, PLUS re-install all your applications (and their updates
too) plus drivers for your peripherals. Look forward to at least 2 days
work!

A tip - if not already done, partition your hard disk drive C;/into at
least two (do NOT attempt to change/format the existing hidden partition
else you will lose your "factory settings", i.e the entire factory
installed recovery system)

When you have recovered your system, use the D: drive to store ALL your
data files/drivers etc
Reason? If/when you have to "restore" again (and thus reformat/wipe the
C: drive, again) it's only the C: drive that's wiped - data stored on
D: is still there!

--
Masterbowl

  • Re: reinstall vista home premium without cd
    ... are often factory-installed in a hidden partition on the hard disk. ... drivers and updates installed since you originally got the ... A tip - if not already done, partition your hard disk drive C;/into at ... else you will lose your "factory settings", ...
  • Re: KB938371 Appears To Block Updates
    ... I talked with HP support. ... I noteiced that Best Buy had Vista along with SP1 on sale for $99. ... some reason it is not on the list of installed updates. ... Do NOT install Vista SP1 unless it's offered by Windows Update! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: KB938371 Appears To Block Updates
    ... I'm afraid your best bet would be to continue with the free Vista SP1 ... some reason it is not on the list of installed updates. ... updates offered by Windows Update. ... Do NOT install Vista SP1 unless it's offered by Windows Update! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Shutdown Issue
    ... I have a lot of experience of the many, many bugs of Vista and the ... Mary Jo Foley is an excellent Microsoft "spotter". ... Their "updates" are supposed to meet the special wishes of the ... HUNDRED PERCENT of all machines showing Vista crashes were running ...
  • RE: After Updates Vista is stuck in reboot...
    ... see any need for any other OS...even Vista doesn't really add any "new" thing ... Microsoft is so amateurish. ... similar to the problems i had last night, although my reboots were to ... It seems this last batch of updates were a particular pain... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)