Re: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business using FULL Busine

Don't confuse upgrading the software with upgrading the license. Upgrading the license means buying an upgrade edition of Vista and using it to replace the existing Windows with the upgrade edition. That can be done to replace Vista Home Premium with Vista Business but you still cannot upgrade the software (keep your apps and files in place). Upgrading between Vista Home editions and Vista Business is one of those cases where you have to do a custom installation. However, that doesn't matter since your copy of Vista Business is a standard license rather than an upgrade.

"planetearth" <planetearth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3A7A8CA4-AF6A-4C06-8270-309345B15146@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks, Jerry.
According to MS, "Microsoft Works 6.0–10 [and] Microsoft Works suite
2000–2006 or later" are qualifying products for upgrade to Office Standard
2007.
I wouldn't have thought so either, and I was going to ask in another
newsgroup, just to be sure.

Steve

"jerryw4386" wrote:

"planetearth" wrote:

> My friend got an excellent deal on the FULL Vista Business CD when > CompUSA
> was going out of sale. Since then, he bought a new Dell laptop with > Vista
> Home Premium on it, and just wants to *upgrade* to Vista Business.
> He does NOT want to wipe Home Premium to replace it with Business, > since the
> laptop has all the drivers and MS Works (which he wants to upgrade to > Office
> Standard 2007 using the "upgrade" version).
> Can he use the full version of Vista Business to just upgrade Vista > Home
> premium? As I recall, this wasn't always an option with older versions > of
> Windows: if you had the "full" version on CD, you couldn't upgrade from > it;
> you could only wipe and replace.
> Thanks!
>
> Steve
Hi
That would be a downgrade you can not downgrade from Home Premium to
Business .
Home Permium has to be upgraded to Ultimate !!
If you want Business you have to clean install it .
To confirm this put the Business DVD in while you are in windows Premium and
try to install it you will see the upgrade option is grad out .
Upgrade path is Premium to Ultimate
Business to Ultimate
Home Basic can be upgraded to Business or Premium or Ultimate .
Do a web search you will see .
{And i do not think MSWorks is a valid upgrade path to Office 2007
with a {upgrade disk}
I think it has to be something like Office 2000 or 2003
i do not know this for a fact}
Other people may have there ideas on this part !!
Good Luck

  • Re: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business using FULL Busine
    ... There is no "upgrade cd" for Vista like there is for XP. ... the upgrade option will be disabled and only the custom option will be available when the existing Windows is Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium and the product key is for Vista Business. ...
  • Re: Upgrading To Vista Question
    ... customers to "over" upgrade. ... upgrade to XP Home Premium. ... Vista then were only two choices, the more common home version and the ... you end up losing features you did want. ...
  • Re: Windows 7 pricing
    ... If Win7 is like Vista, then clean installs can be done using upgrade ... Then you can pick Win7 Home Premium ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... It has never been possible to upgrade in place from 32bits to 64bits for any Windows client or server software because a 64bit OS MUST be installed by a 64bit installer. ... The Vista installed on the first pass can be either 32bits or 64bits in such a case. ... Please understand that the installation methodology used to install Windows has always been at the convenience of the user. ...
  • Re: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business using FULL Busine
    ... When you use an upgrade edition license you must supercede another license that is eligible for upgrade to Vista. ... I just found out the CD my friend has is a Vista Business *Upgrade* ...