Re: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business using FULL Busine

You're welcome.

"planetearth" <planetearth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:37C85B52-7AE6-4B6D-9995-0D269701A150@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Excellent, Colin! Thank you very much for clearly answering both my questions.

Steve

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

There is no "upgrade cd" for Vista like there is for XP (I know you meant to
say "dvd"). There are only upgrade edition and standard edition product
keys.

Your VB dvd is a just a standard Vista dvd. Vista dvds are all the same.
It is the product key that identifies to Vista Setup.exe the edition of
Vista and the license as "upgrade".

That product key, when entered, will cause Vista setup to switch to its
"upgrade" installation routines. At that point Setup will either require
the user to be running Setup from within existing Windows (x86 dvds) or it
will search for an installation of existing Windows (x64 dvds).

Either way, the upgrade option (meaning your apps and files will be
preserved) will be disabled and only the custom option will be available
when the existing Windows is Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium and the
product key is for Vista Business.

The fact that it is an upgrade product key makes no difference in how Vista
gets installed. The option to upgrade the software is either available or
not depending on which new edition is replacing which existing edition and
is the same regardless of the type of product key being used, upgrade or
standard.

> Hmmm...now I'm a bit confused.
> First, I just found out the CD my friend has is a Vista Business > *Upgrade*
> CD. I thought he had the FULL version CD, but he only has the UPGRADE > CD.
> However, from what I thought I understood here, Vista Business is not > an
> upgrade option from Vista Home Premium, because of some of the software > on
> Home Premium.
> (I'm trying not to confuse "license" with "software", but if he has the
> CD,
> they're pretty much one and the same. He didn't just buy a license to
> upgrade--he bought the upgrade software CD itself.)
> So, can he *upgrade* Vista Home Premium to Vista Business?
> If he *can't* upgrade and decides to buy the FULL version (for a clean
> install), what happens to the *license* for the copy of Vista Home > Premium
> that came with the new Dell laptop? I'm assuming it would no longer be
> used
> (unless someone restored the laptop from a restore CD made before > wiping
> the
> drive).
> Thanks again for all your help--I'm just trying to get this straight so > I
> can tell him.
>
> Steve
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Don't confuse upgrading the software with upgrading the license.
>> Upgrading
>> the license means buying an upgrade edition of Vista and using it to
>> replace
>> the existing Windows with the upgrade edition. That can be done to
>> replace
>> Vista Home Premium with Vista Business but you still cannot upgrade >> the
>> software (keep your apps and files in place). Upgrading between Vista
>> editions and Vista Business is one of those cases where you have to do >> a
>> custom installation. However, that doesn't matter since your copy of
>> Vista
>> Business is a standard license rather than an upgrade.
>>
>> "planetearth" <planetearth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, Jerry.
>> > According to MS, "Microsoft Works 6.0–10 [and] Microsoft Works suite
>> > 2000–2006 or later" are qualifying products for upgrade to Office
>> > Standard
>> > 2007.
>> > I wouldn't have thought so either, and I was going to ask in another
>> > newsgroup, just to be sure.
>> >
>> > Steve

  • Re: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business using FULL Busine
    ... There is no "upgrade cd" for Vista like there is for XP. ... the upgrade option will be disabled and only the custom option will be available when the existing Windows is Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium and the product key is for Vista Business. ...
  • Re: Upgrading To Vista Question
    ... customers to "over" upgrade. ... upgrade to XP Home Premium. ... Vista then were only two choices, the more common home version and the ... you end up losing features you did want. ...
  • Re: Windows 7 pricing
    ... If Win7 is like Vista, then clean installs can be done using upgrade ... Then you can pick Win7 Home Premium ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Its official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
    ... It has never been possible to upgrade in place from 32bits to 64bits for any Windows client or server software because a 64bit OS MUST be installed by a 64bit installer. ... The Vista installed on the first pass can be either 32bits or 64bits in such a case. ... Please understand that the installation methodology used to install Windows has always been at the convenience of the user. ...
  • Re: John Lewis, et al. - DirectX April 2007 redist file inventory contains DX10 files?
    ... not a single gamer with a choice would EVER upgrade to Vista... ... I fully expect it to have Vista ... | bonuses are what drive the new operating system / new desktop market. ... I fully expect that M$ is going to be besieged by game ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)