Re: Winload.exe

Winload.exe actually loads Vista. The normal procedure would have been to insert your Vista DVD and select 'repair startup'. However, if you don't have a Vista DVD you are rather stuck.

Even though the operating system came pre-loaded the PC manufacturer should have given you an option to re-install Vista; this will either be a DVD of the operating system, or, an image of the operating system on a hidden partition. The first thing you need to do is check your PC literature to see whether you have a 'recovery partition' which you can access to re-install the operating system. If you can't find any instructions then you will need to contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask if they can supply you with a recovery DVD. Either way you will loose all your files and any programs you installed, so I hope you have backups?

Alternatively, does friend have a copy of the Vista DVD? You may be able to use that, simply to enter the 'repair' options and then select the 'repair startup'

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Banpei" <Banpei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4B6D6808-1F44-4B49-B7F2-49FE19C7ED25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, I'm using Vista home premium 32 bit, and it automatically installed an
update from microsoft. It then asked me to restart the computer, which I
did, but when I did, it wouldn't load again because it said that "winload.exe
was missing or corrupt". It then asked me to use the installation cd to
restore it, but Vista came preinstalled, so I don't have the CD. How can I
fix this? I can't even load to safe mode to restore to a restore point....

.