Re: Vista Home Premium Activation Issue

Win9x/ME do you no good. Only Win2000 and later qualifies for upgrade to Vista.

Since the tech did not enter a product key when installing Vista, the installer loaded a full edition. Trial installations are always full editions. Your upgrade product key therefore will not work. Only a full edition product key will work.

If you had purchased a full edition then you could simply start the activation wizard and when it requests a product key enter it.

(btw, you cannot enter a product key using the "change product key" link because no product key was ever entered that can be changed. You will get an error message.)

You will have to reinstall Windows to use the upgrade edition product key.

Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your files and settings. You will have to reinstall your apps.

Assuming that you have a 32bit version of VHP, you need to run the upgrade edition Setup from the desktop of existing Windows. While that can be done on the desktop of the trial version already installed, MS does not support that use of an upgrade edition product key and there is some risk that MS will take steps to void the activation of such installations at some time in the future. That info has already filtered into some newsgroups and seems to have some validity. It is a risk to consider.

The safest method is to install XP then upgrade to Vista Home Premium OR return the VHP upgrade edition and buy a full edition so you can convert the trial to permanent with the full edition product key. I recommend buying the full edition so you can do that.

There is a little more flexibility with the 64bit versions in how the installation can be performed but product key problem will be the same.

"Roques" <Roques@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:02C7CD1D-15AD-4808-891B-AAE9EA738FE5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I recently purchased a computer with a demo version of Windows Vista Home
Edition loaded on it, the tech. wanted to give me 30 days to decide if I
liked it. I did and purchased my own copy of WVHP, the delima is I've
customized this copy and wanted to enter the information for the "purchased"
version prior to my 20 days left, how do I do that? It is an upgrade
version...I own XP Pro, XP Home (2 copies), Me, 98se, and 95.

.