Re: It's official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1

1. It has never been possible to upgrade in place from 32bits to 64bits for any Windows client or server software because a 64bit OS MUST be installed by a 64bit installer. A 64bit installer cannot run on a 32bit system. Hence, upgrades in place cannot be done.

2. The so-called workaround is specific to 32bits. Vista 64bit Setup works differently but a comparable technique can be used. The result is the same. Specifically, although you must perform the workaround for 32bits from the first installation's desktop, the workaround for 64bits can be performed by booting with the 64bit dvd. The Vista installed on the first pass can be either 32bits or 64bits in such a case. The edition chosen for keyless installation on the first pass should not matter either.

3. I seriously doubt that anyone is rebelling over this. Revolting, maybe. Rebelling, no.

Please understand that the installation methodology used to install Windows has always been at the convenience of the user. Regardless of the methodology used, the user is still responsible for being in compliance with the EULA, which only requires that the user OWN a Windows license eligible for upgrade, in this case to Vista.

"JT Edwards" <JT Edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:EB0AD98A-98A0-4E05-9363-ADCBF14AE971@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To all concerned:

About freaking time! Not to derail Microsoft (who I have a great deal of
respect for), but inability to upgrade Vista was simply insane. Explain to me
and the consumer base at large why:

1. New customers with 64bit processor machines (newly purchased) DO not have
an in place upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit.

2. Is this "workaround" applicable for 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Vista? Or will
I and the community have to reinstall our applications to include our data.

3. Now that Red Hat has made Linux so much easier for a lot of my
customers, there is a silent rebellion with regards to Microsoft due to this
oversight. Can't they (Microsoft) simply address the general public and point
out this simple factoid as a good will gesture?

I, for one, appreciate the candid conversation you guys are having. I am
hoping Microsoft gets this issue resolved so that we can remain loyal
customers.

Thanks for responding folks.

JT

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

Hi Shane,

Carey statement is based on information relayed in a licensing and
activation presentation and discussion on the Microsoft campus that I
attended as well. It was specifically stated by the presenters that they
were looking at ways to identify these types of installations via WGA.
Whether or not they will be blocked remains to be seen, but the loophole was
not intentional even though it was known prior to Vista's release. I suspect
that closing it required changes that would have delayed release, so they
let it go as is.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Shane Nokes" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> That's completely untrue Carey.
>
> I really hate to say this since I usually defend MVP's but Microsoft > left
> this in so that a "clean install" could still be done for those that > owned
> prior license.
>
> That has been stated more than once and has been confirmed.
>
> It's not meant to allow installations in violation of the EULA but to
> support a scenario where original media may not be available but where > a
> valid license is still in place.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Sorry, but this so-called "hack" is not approved by Microsoft.
>> Using this hack, Windows Genuine Advantage will check the
>> license and if it is determined it is solely an upgrade license,
>> your computer will be flagged as "non-genuine" and you'll
>> eventually have to purchase the correct "Full Version" license.
>>
>> -- >> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience -
>> Windows Vista Enthusiast

>> "Jon Pope" <mrjonpope@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> It's official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1
>> By Scott Dunn
>>
>> The new Service Pack 1 version of Windows Vista allows end users to
>> purchase
>> the "upgrade edition" and install it on any PC - with no need to >> purchase
>> the more expensive "full edition."
>>
>> The same behavior was present when Vista was originally released, but >> the
>> fact that the trick wasn't removed from SP1 suggests that Microsoft
>> executives approved the back door as a way to make the price of Vista
>> more
>> appealing to sophisticated buyers.
>>

>> Previous Windows version not needed for upgrade
>>
>> Just after Vista was first released to consumers on Jan. 30, 2007, an
>> article in the Windows Secrets Newsletter explained that the upgrade
>> edition
>> of the operating system could be installed on a "clean" hard drive. >> For
>> whatever reason, Vista had been programmed to accept itself as a
>> "qualifying
>> product." This eliminated any need for users to purchase the full >> edition
>> of
>> Vista or to upgrade Vista only over an older instance of Windows.
>>
>> The Feb. 1, 2007, article by Windows Secrets editorial director Brian
>> Livingston explained that the procedure is supported by several >> built-in
>> dialog boxes. This indicates that the trick had been deliberately
>> included
>> by Vista's developers.
>>
>> To boost the sales of retail packages, Microsoft announced just over >> one
>> month ago significant price cuts in Vista, beginning with Service Pack >> 1.
>> The savings over the old prices vary among different Vista versions, >> such
>> as
>> Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. In the U.S., the list price of >> the
>> upgrade edition is at least $100 cheaper than the full edition. >> Smaller
> [...]

  • Re: Upgrading an OS, changing an OS, Downgrading an OS?
    ... Although it's referred to as an upgrade, it's really a "custom install." ... I currently have an OEM computer that came with Windows XP 32-bit. ... If I put a vista upgrade on here, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Upgrading an OS, changing an OS, Downgrading an OS?
    ... I currently have an OEM computer that came with Windows XP 32-bit. ... I was encouraged to go with the upgrade from my current XP install, ... If I put a vista upgrade on here, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media
    ... click Turn Windows features on or off. ... "The upgrade was not successful. ... Could someone please offer either a suggestion on how to upgrade to Vista ... Clean Install ...
  • Re: Windows to Vista
    ... do manage to install the upgrade, what prior version are you going to ... There *is* a way to perform a clean install of Vista ... Boot your PC with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: upgrade c: from pata to sata with vista ultimate 64bit upgrade dis
    ... "How to Clean Install Windows Vista with Upgrade Media ... When I began inquiring into various Windows Vista installation options late last year, Microsoft and its representative grew quiet and seemed to begin selectively answering my questions. ...