Re: Is this a 32-Bit or 64-Bit version of Vista?

Only the 64bit Windows operating systems have both Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. 32bit Windows OSs only have a Program Files folder. In a 64bit OS 32bit programs are installed in the Program Files (x86) folder and 64bit programs are installed in the Program Files folder. Therefore, you clearly have a 64bit version of Windows. If you press WinKey + Pause/Break you will see "64-bit Operating System" on the System Properties page under System/System Type.

"dumdum" <dumdum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0BA03844-78FC-4800-B98C-23F2F633F2C2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi - This is a stupid question, but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to
computers, I just hope someone is patient enough to answer it anyway.

I recently bought a PC online, and ordered it with the 64-Bit version of
Vista Home Premium. When it arrived I'm not sure if they installed the 32-Bit
or the 64-Bit version of the OS. I got suspicious because I have two 'Program
Files' folders, and one had '(x86) in brackets after it. I read online
somewhere that 'x86' refers to the 32-Bit version of the OS.

How can I definitively determin if my version of Windows Vista is the 32-Bit
or 64-Bit version?

Many thanks.

  • Re: Vista x86 program folder not showing in directory
    ... Hold down the Windows logo key, like a Shift key, while you press the key, which is found in the upper right area of most keyboards. ... Using either method of access, the System Properties window should show your Windows edition (Windows Vista Home Premium) and, if it has been installed, "Service Pack 1". ... The "Program Files " folder appears ONLY on 64-bit operating systems. ... all programs will be in the one Program Files folder. ...
  • Re: Sharing Program Files folder
    ... >> sharing the Documents and Settings, Program Files, or Windows folders. ... >error when trying to access shared Program Files folder. ...
  • Re: Downloaded program file folder.
    ... And then check the Downloaded Program Files folder. ... Typing or pasting %windir% into the Start | Run box opens to the Windows ... Windows XP can be installed in either WINDOWS or WINNT. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can not install updates KB941568 or 941569 or IE 7
    ... Have you moved the Program Files folder onto another partition than ... the Program files to another partition or change anything in the registry. ... into the address bar in Windows Explorer and hit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Program Files Folder points to wrong place?
    ... Windows XP Shell/User ... > wayne wrote: ... > What 'Program Files' folder on the start menu? ... > the Program files folder on the Windows drive? ...