Re: Re Installing windows XP

You can change the boot sequence in the computer BIOS's setup, usually you can enter it pressing DEL button at startup, and there you should look for for boot configuration/setup/order menu which allows you to change the order of boot devices (like make your computer boot from cd on next startup).

Csaba

Simon wrote:
I am attempting to format my sons hard drive and reload windows XP as currently it is running like a pig as my son has spent two years dowloading every known game and mod known to mankind. I have a recovery disk but do not know how to boot from the disk. I have started the PC whilst pressing the F8 key and hoped I would see an option to boot from the CD drive, but dont see it. If I run the disk whilst whilst XP is running and click the install windows XP it tells me it is an older version of XP on the disk and does not give me the option to continue to overwrite it.

Anyone tell me how to proceed?

Thanks

Simon

  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... indicated that all drives had no disk inserted. ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Installation: doesnt see setup files on hard drive?
    ... > disk the BIOS is set to boot from must have an appropriate Master Boot ... I was worried about those points you made above so I removed all drives except the one I want to instll ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Was either disk set up as a Microsoft dynamic disk? ... Do not change the boot sector signature. ... I ensure all OK by swapping over drives. ... installing XP as it insisted there was no drive to install itself on! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: [SLE] Problems with initrd after mkinitrd
    ... A disk can have three real heads and report a dozen or a hundred! ... > natural metric for partitioning drives that use LBA. ... > - One, less frequent, is the failure of some of the cloned drives to boot ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Three Linux Operating Systems in One Computer (Is it possible?)
    ... Hard Disk 1 19.42GiB IDE ... The GRUB boot loader is installed on the first hard disk. ... I am planning to combine /dev/hda6 with /devhda1 using the Gnome Partition ...
    (Ubuntu)