Re: Not a "Genuine Copy", and an "Invalid Activation Key" from Gat

Question/Rant. I just finished talking with them and the official answer is
to do a Full Restoration of the OS and run updates. So I loose everything on
it. My ability to back up my info is presently limited. but I'll do what I
can. But I don't believe this is the only, or even a solution. I believe it
will only put it off from happening again for 30 days. Which is the length of
time for a trial period of windows vista. This computer has been sent to
Gateway 3 time for problems and every time this has shown up. Even after I
ran a complete update run (no more updates available, your computer is up to
date). And they wouldn't even look at anything other than doing a Full System
Restore. I have found an article in the Windows database about an activation
key exploit. Could this be the culprit? and how do I look for it before I
rule it out.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

You will need to contact Gateway; they are responsible for ensuring that
your software is legal, and if it isn't, remedying the situation.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"karlano" <karlano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Why does the copy of Windows Vista Home Premium on my new Gateway computer
show as being not a geniune copy with an invalid Activation Key?
I bought this computer in Sept/07. It has been back and between me and
Gateway many times.It's been back for about a month and just when things
look
like they might have setteled down, I get a message saying my activation
key
is invalid. It shuts down and when I startup I have to re-enter the
activation code that came with the computer. It starts up and everything
is
up and agaian but now I have a message in the lower right coner of my
screen
that say's:

Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6001
This copy of Windows is not genuine

So did Gateway screw me, or is this a bug and there's a fix. I came across
an Activation Exploit Repair Process (SL07-001) but I don't know if that
is
the right fix.

  • Re: Windows File Protection/Wrong CD Problem
    ... Thanks for your comments and suggestion regarding contacting Gateway ... support). ... "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by ... > it was pre-installed on your computer by Gateway, you are running an OEM ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Working crash
    ... I talked to a Gateway tech today. ... Windows Vista Home Premium ... Rick Rogers, ...
  • Re: Not a "Genuine Copy", and an "Invalid Activation Key" from Gat
    ... Installing SP1 changes the underlying code that pirates use to counterfeit the Windows Vista DVD. ... OEM copies, regardless of whether Gateway purchased it or you bought it yourself come with no Microsoft support; sadly those are the rules, that is why OEM are less expensive that retail copies. ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ...
  • Re: Windows File Protection/Wrong CD Problem
    ... I didn't follow the links from there because I don't have a Gateway or the support documents or that protected partition with all those files and probably would not have understood further instructions. ... For an OEM-installed WinXP, your support comes from the OEM, not from Microsoft. ... Microsoft Windows MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Not a "Genuine Copy", and an "Invalid Activation Key" from Gateway
    ... You will need to contact Gateway; they are responsible for ensuring that your software is legal, and if it isn't, remedying the situation. ... Windows Desktop Experience ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ... show as being not a geniune copy with an invalid Activation Key? ...