Re: It's official: upgrade hack included in Vista SP1

What oversight? Microsoft provides 64bit OEM dvds and images. However, unlike the retail editions, the user is not entitled to both. So if you buy Vista x86 preinstalled on a new computer, you are not also entitled to OEM x64 media (and vice versa) as you are if you buy a retail edition. You can buy 64bit OEM (system builder) dvds right off of NewEgg. See:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116478
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493

Upgrades:

You can migrate from 32bit to 64bit using an upgrade license (product key), but you cannot perform an in-place upgrade from 32bit to 64bit for many reasons, a key one being that you cannot run the 64bit version of setup.exe on the 32bit desktop. Installation of a 64bit OS has to be done by a 64bit setup.exe.

So you have to do a migration instead (save files and settings, install Windows, install your apps, then restore the files and settings).

You do not have to flatten the volume first to remove a 32bit OS before installing a 64bit version using either an upgrade or standard license. x64 Setup will roll up everything into windows.old folders which you can take ownership of later and extract files, etc, and then delete at your leisure.

Since Vista is installed by laying down a fresh image (sector copying) of the OS instead of XP's file copying method, there are no artifacts of code left over from the previous OS so that is no longer a potential problem requiring a classic clean install. Of course, the way x64 setup.exe works even with upgrade product keys, you can boot with the x64 dvd and do a classic clean install if you prefer. With an x86 dvd you cannot. x86 setup has to be run from within existing Windows when using an upgrade product key.

"JT Edwards" <JTEdwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:93C4B03E-EEAE-4BA1-844B-B77365678B40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Colin,

Ok I am confused. I have a Sony VAIO with 32bit Vista Business. So from my
current understanding is that I basically have to strip the laptop and
install Vista 64bit (of course I will have to purchase 64bit Vista now).
However, based on this current thread, it appeared that 32 to 64 in place
upgrade was made. And now you are saying this was never the case.

My question is WHY is Microsoft OEMing 32bit Vista when what we probably
need 64 bit Vista.

As I indicated (believe me I have a lot of customers at the SMB layer), a
lot of my customers are looking hard at RHEL because of this oversight.

Hmmmm guess I will just run RHEL and run Vista on VMware or Xen.

I am really advising customers wanting to purchase desktops to be careful to
express 64 bit Vista versus 32 bit.

Really disappointing and quite frankly I believe a complete bait and switch
for existing Vista customers.

JT

  • Re: upgrading xp to vista premium question
    ... When Vista ... Upgrade was installing, I assume it also saw a single disk with a single ... I wasn't sure I could do a clean install of Vista originally and ... were partitioned into 3 different volumes and during the install of Vista ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: upgrading xp to vista premium question
    ... prior to using an upgrade install of Vista. ... install of Vista Home Premium full retail version was to my main MCE2005 ... built and did a clean install and love it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Vista OEM or... ?
    ... There are at least two different concepts of what constitutes an upgrade: ... Fresh install: For a hardware component, one will consider an upgrade as ... Who will perform support if the end user is having problems. ... I'd like to upgrade PCs from my family to Vista. ...
  • Re: Windows 7 for $50 (US) through July 11.
    ... You can still do a clean install with the upgrade version, ... vista requires that an earlier ver has to be installed before ... version of windows before doing an installation of the Windows 7 ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: clubbing of windows vista and windows server2008 in a single boota
    ... I am not sure if you can go clubbing with Vista or Windows 2008 ... rather than being an 'installer', ... John Pritchard how it all works and got some surprising answers. ... Imaging (.WIM) file, which is basically our operating system folders ...