Re: Home Premium to Ultimate - Upgrade is Disabled

"Joanna" <Joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:78AAA0D9-D917-43E6-B872-C54D0027774E@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for the explanation.
I am more specific.
I bought upgrade on line from microsoft for $160.
It arrived on Tuesday and i installed from CV (32-bit version of vista
ultimate with service pack 1 over my home premium).
when the istallation was performed my desktop was blank.
i found on the internet how to restore personal data (contacts and links)
and did this.
still can can not import messages from windows mail.
i have discovered msoffice does not work.
i try to run excel, power point, msword using the compatibility wizard and
"run" the message was :
my system is not configured to run the program
HOW CAN MICROSOFT CHARGE MONEY FOR AN UPGRADE WHICH IS NOT ABLE EVEN TO
RECONFIGURE THEIR OWN SOFTWARE?
I HAVE NOT HAD SUCH AN EXPERIENCE WITH ANY OTHER RESPONSIBLE PUBLISHER , EG.
NORTON OR SPSS.
TELL ME HOW CAN I REGAIN AT LEAST MS OFFICE (i have the windows. old catalog).
i know i am going to waste A LOT OF TIME to reinstall SPSS, Adobe and so on.
IN MEANTIME I CAN NOT WORK
IHAD CHAT AND SENT E-MAIL JUST TO LEARN THAT THE PERSONS WHO RESPONDED WERE
NOT TRAINED TO SOLVE SUCH PROBLEMS.
WHOM MICROSOFT HIRES?
PLEASE, HELP ME. I CAN NOT WORK FROM TUESDAY.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

OEM = original equiment manufacturer

OEM Windows means it came preinstalled on your computer rather than a copy
you bought in a store separately (retail copy).

Microsoft did not destroy anything. If you purchased an upgrade online it
is up to you to follow the directions when you apply the upgrade to your
computer.

Just saying "nothing works" is not specific enough for any of the volunteers
here to help you with a problem.

> What is Oem version? I both my upgrade on line from microsoft.
> upgraded from home premium to ultimate and nothing works!!!!
> you pay money to destroy everything.
> Microsoft HAS NO RIGHT TO DO THIS
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you have an OEM version of Vista Ultimate, it can
>> only be installed as a "clean install". Only retail versions
>> can perform an upgrade.
>>
>> -- >> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience -
>> Windows System & Performance

>> "nynaevelan" wrote:
>>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I've recently needed to reformat my hard drive due to a problem, when >> I
>> originally received my computer it came with Home Premium which I had
>> upgraded to Ultimate. I have reinstalled Home Premium and have all my
>> programs reinstalled and setup as they should be. Now when I try to
>> reinstall the Ultimate version, whether from the boot cd or from >> within
>> Premium I get the message that 'upgrade is disabled'. I was led to
>> believe
>> that I could upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate. I do not remember >> if
>> ran into this problem when I first purchased the Ultimate software
>> because it
>> was installed on the computer prior to any software installations. >> Can
>> someone please help me get this upgrade installation to work? It took >> me
>> over 12 hours to get all my programs reinstalled and resetup.
>>
>> Marie T

RE MS Office, re-install Office using your MS Office media CD

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

  • Re: To Anyone who has Internet Explorer Installed or any other browser (Everybody)
    ... > Try and imagine if MS required a full upgrade each time ANY flaw ... vulnerability you listed above includes patches for versions of IE ... But hey...might as well make this post into "Big bad Microsoft", ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How do I get Student & Teacher upgrade to work?
    ... Although buying Microsoft software from Microsoft is safe, ... Just so you know, you did not buy an "upgrade", you paid for a full version. ... for the product key and then try calling Microsoft. ... prompted to "insert the disk of the original application or click on ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • RE: Migration to SQL 2005 for Workgroups
    ... How can I tell there's nothing left behind after the upgrade of Sharepoint?? ... Veritas is very compatible with Microsoft products. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need SP2 Options
    ... "But in response to customer complaints, Microsoft suspended the automatic ... deployment for eight months to give users time to prepare for the upgrade." ... > Push Is Coming to Shove for XP SP2 Deployment ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: How do I get Student & Teacher upgrade to work?
    ... I bought the upgrade directly from the ... Microsoft sold to HP to include in their computer can't be upgraded anyway... ... for the product key and then try calling Microsoft. ... I neither have a disk ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)