Re: Complete PC Restore error 0x80042406?

Good luck!

"Brian Hoyt" <hoyty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4DD3F29F-D4C4-4C5D-8B8F-ED2B1D6721F9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the response, however I am quite happy with the free service built
into OS. I found out that there is actually a clean command in diskpart. I
kept thinking it wanted me to reformat or remove partitions. After I ran
clean from within diskpart it restored fine.

"Donny Broome" wrote:

Brian,

You should really consider investing in Acronis True Image Home 11. A free trail version is available.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

You can purchase it via NewEgg for about $26.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200004

The Complete PC Backup/Restore feature in Vista is less than perfect. I've had it fail in various scenarios.

------------------------------
Donny Broome
www.broomeman.com/vista
www.broomeman.com/tech

"Brian Hoyt" <hoyty@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:66E8AC84-DAAF-4748-AF08-E2AFE402A5C2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am trying to do a complete pc restore and I keep getting error 0x80042406.
The Windows Complete PC restore operation failed.
Error details: A data disk is currently set as active in BIOS. Set some
other disk as active or use the DiskPart utility to clean the data disk, and
then retry the restore operation. (0x80042406)

I only have one internal HD. I have tried wiping all partions from it or
having another install on it, makes no difference. My backup drive was
originally internal so I moved it to USB enclosure and it made no difference.
I am just not sure what is the root of the problem? It is a brand new Dell
Optiplex 755. Any ideas on cause of this error and a fix?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Freeware Ghost?
    ... Re DISKPART CLEAN, I presume the clean command creates the MBR, but surely ... > is what causes the MBR and boot sector to be put in place. ... >> the MBR and partition boot sector also, so no need to worry about copying ...
  • Re: Diskpart - slow?
    ... Running WinXP Pro ... partitions and got the disk back as a basic NTFS disk, ... A clean operation on the disk should return fairly quickly. ... What OS and diskpart version are you running? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: SMS/ZTI - diskpart "bug"?
    ... This has been a commonly reported issue when people are having diskpart do a "clean all" instead of just a "clean" like below: ... I have installed a few SMS/ZTI implementations and have encountered a problem when I run diskpart in the "preinstall" fase. ... The OS deployment seem to hang "forever" on diskpart until you point the mouse at the screen and click on the "preinstall" window. ... I have seen this problem useing both BDD 2.5 and BDD 2007 scripts, and building WinPE source both PE2004 and PE2005. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.tools)
  • Re: boot failure
    ... I do not have any way just to clean up the C partition right? ... I have the clean the whole drive then partion using diskpart ?! ... > Greg Chu The Small, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)