Re: upgrading Vista Business Sp1 to Vista Ultimate

"Bill R" <BillR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#2EoyV1zIHA.5472@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I'm purchasing a Laptop that comes with Vista Business SP1 installed. I have valid MSDN licenses for Vista Ultimate and intend to upgrade the Laptop to Vista Ultimate.
The problem is that I only have Ultimate RTM disks without SP1 - MSDN Subscription has expired so I can't download an Ultimate SP1 image.

Will Vista Business SP1 upgrade with a Vista Ultimate RTM disc? I'm hoping the upgrade will look for additional files online during the upgrade process.

I'm aware I could just format and install Vista Ultimate clean or try my own slipstream of Ultimate RTM with SP1.

thanks!

I have not tried what you want to do, but prior experience with XP leads me to think it won't work. I think you'll get a message somewhat along the lines of "the installed version is later...".

  • Re: OT: Vista Ultimate Activation / Ramble
    ... I could have easily gotten a pirated copy of Vista Ultimate -- ... The generic OEM or retail (Upgrade or Full) must be activated within ... a full install. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... Since you used it to qualify for the upgrade, ... then you install that on the new machine as ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you ... I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... a clean install of V64 without inputting the licence key and then upgrade ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you ... I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... So is it a violation of the EULA if I install XP on to the new machine, ... upgrade path criteria for Vista, then you install that on the new machine as ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you ... I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...