Re: Can I get a refund for Vista?

Major computer manufacturer's, such as Dell, HP, Acer, etc. use
"System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP with their OEM discs.
SLP uses information stored in an OEM PC's BIOS. No communication by
the end customer to Microsoft is required and no hardware hash is created or
necessary. At boot, Windows Vista compares the PC's BIOS to the SLP information.
If it matches, no activation is required.

If someone were to use the OEM's Windows Vista recovery disc
on a different computer, the license will never activate since the
BIOS does not contain the information necessary to activate
Windows Vista. Phoning Microsoft for activation help won't
work either.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23X5M00u0IHA.1628@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That's an interesting concept since the Product Key on the bottom of the
computer is never actually used to activate the computer.
Instead, a corporate "OEM" activation license and key are installed on the
computer. Even the manufacturer doesn't activate the machine. They are
simply authorized to make so many computers with the corporate "OEM" license
and key. So, what exactly is tied to the machine. Nothing.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
OEM versions of Microsoft Windows cannot be resold.
The license is permanently tied to the very first computer
it is installed and activated on.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows Vista Enthusiast

"John Henckel" <John Henckel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I bought a new pc with Vista-64 ultimate OEM installed. But now I
discovered
that I cannot use it, because I need Cisco VPN IPSec Client to connect to
work, and Cisco does not support Vista 64.

So my question is. Can I get a refund on Vista, or a credit toward
purchase
of XP Pro, or can I resell Vista to someone else?

thanks, john

  • Re: Hard disk crash, rebuild with Vista Premium ?
    ... MS) but there used to be thing called a downgrade license so you'd only ... The downgrade is available for Vista Ultimate and Vista Business ... "Rights to OEM versions of systems software are granted in the OEM ... Business and Windows Vista Ultimate operating ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Can I get a refund for Vista?
    ... he could not return the Vista license he never used or activated.. ... "System Locked Pre-installation," or SLP with their OEM discs. ... If someone were to use the OEM's Windows Vista recovery disc ...
  • Re: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    ... With an OEM you can only install it on the original machine. ... Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit ... Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM SP1 ...
  • Re: Formatting Drive C: Issue
    ... I just did a search here for "OEM authentication" and found a link to an MS ... suggests that the OS authentication data is actually stored in the PC BIOS ... The majority of customers acquire Windows with the purchase of a new ... Pre-installation,” or SLP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lisence & Versions
    ... > Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit ... > Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit ... > Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1 ... > Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM ...