Re: installing WinXP

Thanks for that update Colin

I don't have access to an OEM copy of the EULA simply because whenever I buy a new PC I always strip the OEM operating system off (along with all the rubbish they add to it) and install a full retail copy.

I have to admit that, in previous posts, on this particular subject I have usually gone for the 'no you can't' option when it came to OEM transfers. However, I got so many people telling me that I was totally wrong that I began to believe it myself. As far as I was aware the only transferable copy of an OS was a retail version, so it look as if I was right in the first place. I should have stuck to my guns instead of changing my mind:-)

Thanks anyway for clarifying the matter.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4C373871-0A8F-45D1-A137-B7E2A35EE22E@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John,

I dug out the EULA from my wife's HP laptop (Vista Home Premium x64) and here are quotes from the pertinent parts.

"INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently assigned to the device with which you acquired the software. That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device."

Later in the EULA it states:

"TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only with the licensed device. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier version. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the Certificate of Authenticity label."

It is located at C:\windows\system32\license on preinstalled systems and is a Word doc.

On my grandson's Compaq which has XP Home preinstalled, the corresponding section says:

"1.2 SOFTWARE as a Component of the COMPUTER - Transfer.
This license may not be shared, transferred to or used
concurrently on different computers. The SOFTWARE
is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated
product and may only be used with the COMPUTER.
If the SOFTWARE is not accompanied by HARDWARE,
you may not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently
transfer all of your rights under this EULA only
as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the
COMPUTER, provided you retain no copies of the
SOFTWARE. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade,
any transfer must also include all prior versions
of the SOFTWARE. This transfer must
also include the Certificate of Authenticity
label. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer,
such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer,
the end user receiving the Software must agree
to all the EULA terms."

On preinstalled XP it is located at C:\windows\system32\eula and is a notepad doc.

Hope this clears some things up.

The thing to remember is that those system builder packs on places like NewEgg are not licensed to the end user but to a system builder who sells a computer to the end user with the software preinstalled. That means that someone buying one for a DIY or other computer is not in compliance with the OEM (system builder) license that he is agreeing to by opening the package because he is not preparing a computer for sale to an end user. In any case, the EULA on the computer prohibits transfer even if the user bought the software himself and installed it on his DIY or other computer out of compliance with the system builder license.

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:239D694C-AA8C-432F-B441-B30ED80E97A9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have a retail copy (you purchased it yourself) the yes it can be installed on another PC. If, however, it is an OEM copy which was pre-installed on the laptop when you purchased it, then No. The OEM copy will be tied to the laptop and not transferrable. (It is different if you purchased an OEM copy yourself from a store and installed it, then you would be able to transfer, but OEM's supplied with the PC are not transferable.)

As for registering, I have never register a copy of Windows. Activate windows, yes, but don't register there is no point; well unless you want loads of emails about other suitable products.

So long as the copy of XP has been on your 'deceased' laptop for more than 120 days you should be able to activate over the internet. If it hasn't been on the laptop for 120 days or more the you will need to telephone the activation line.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Craig W" <CraigW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:AF4C3E42-05C3-4228-80CC-6E536BB6BA07@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a licensed copy of Win XP pro for a laptop that is now deceased....
Can I install this legitimately on another machine as a clean install?

Can i register this and satisfy the piracy police at Microsoft? How do i do
that?

  • Re: Shrink Wrap my EULA ?
    ... >> You may refuse to accept it and the install will be cancelled. ... >>> You have the right to refuse the EULA. ... >>> permits you as a party to the contract to refuse the terms of such. ... >>> you wanted an OEM version that included all the license documentation, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: hardware hash (coded profile) kept at MS or on PC?
    ... But you have done more then one install using that license key (that was not ... Corect it technically is according to the EULA. ... >>> 3) would it even recognize that multiple installs ...
  • Re: Transfering windows xp license
    ... OEM is Original Eqipment Manufacturer, ... > I know it's not a Retail edition, as I obviously didn't buy it at ... > originally shipped with the computer; I install it from this CD I ... > this isn't a Retail version, and you say that Volume License copies ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: how many computers can I install Office onto?
    ... all that to get around the license? ... >been looking at websites that sell OEM software ... >> as that second install. ... Licensing mgrs just purchase the paper ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: No OS disk with purch refurb laptop
    ... to install with, and then register/validate with this product key. ... supply the product key of my own license during ... then you will need an OEM Windows distribution to install from. ...