Re: Motherboard Being Replaced

You should not have a problem bringing the system back up on the new mobo. There is only one ACPI x64-based PC driver for all Vista x64. The system may immediately want to install some new drivers for things like the NIC if that changes, but the system itself should not be a problem. But stuff happens, so be prepared.

Back up your system, of course, just in case.

"Casanova Fly" <Casanova Fly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:A5CA41D5-F238-477A-853E-461F92498474@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alright. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a eVGA nForce 780i motherboard.
I'm about to upgrade to an eVGA nForce 790i motherboard. I've got an
authentic version of Windows, obviously, got the disc and everything. WHAT do
I need to do to make this successful WITHOUT having to do a full reinstall?
I've read a lot of stuff about disabling and uninstalling drivers and chipset
drivers and controllers and stuff, only having so many peripherals plugged in
on startup, etc. Is there anyone out there with any advice on how to
successfully switch motherboards WITHOUT the full reinstall.

  • Re: new hardware
    ... a BIOS update should not require a reinstall. ... motherboard components do not change. ... if you install a MB from a completely different ... the drivers need to be removed and new ones installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Device Manager missing "display adapters" entry
    ... Abit NF7-S nvidia based motherboard, and the minute I deinstalled the old ... nividia drivers, the display adapters entry would disappear from the device ... manager and my video card then installed as an unknown device. ... installation CD to repair the existing windows installation, ...
  • Re: changing PCs
    ... Thus the failure to load Windows ... licenced to move that Xp system to an upgraded environment [motherboard, ... controller for the new motherboard. ... target disk controller in the old system and install the drivers for the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: new hardware
    ... I think you have to reinstall even when updating the BIOS. ... > motherboard has numerous core devices on it for which Windows ... > loads drivers during installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: M2N8-VMX motherboard
    ... System timers are the timers used by ... Chipset vendors should implement an HPET to comply with Intels "IA-PC HPET ... get a copy of the motherboard cd from him and all will be well. ... It is only when the board has to be used and loaded with the ASUS drivers ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)