Re: Vista Clean Install

"mrclifton" <mrclifton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8FE9FE90-62DB-4699-B80E-48CDCA2A44BC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When you say I need to purchase a Vista install DVD and boot from that, does
that mean that the OS CD that came with my laptop isn't what I need to be
booting from?

The one that came with your laptop is a manufacture's produced solution and I don't know what is on it. However, it is not a MS Vista installation DVD or CD that you would have purchased from a retailer.

I bought an external harddrive and copied all of the stuff to it.

What can I do about my D drive being too full to be able to do anything on
my computer?

You should remove stuff off it that you have put there as it wasn't full when you first got the machine.

I have a D drive too which is the Restore drive, and I do not use that drive to hold data or anything else that I would have put there. On the other hand, I don't need the D drive, becuase I purached a MS Vista install DVD to upgrade to a different Vista version, and I could wipe out the drive, which I also have backed up to a DVD disc. I am not pressed for space, but that's the only way I would wipe out the D drive knowing that I have a retail version of the MS Vista install DVD.

> Everything I've read said that doing a clean install would delete all > of
> my
> files during the process....which is what I needed. I wanted > everything
> off
> of my computer except what came on it. I called myself doing it > correctly
> but when I checked, none of my files were gone and my Recovery D drive > has
> no
> space left which is why I needed to do a clean install in the first > place.
>
> Any suggestions? Oh, and what is a partician and how do you know which
> one
> to choose?

A clean install would have involved you (*formatting*/wipeout) the drive of
all data during the install process.

And what is a partition?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial116.html

Read the introduction as it applies to Vista too.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

I suggest you leave the D drive alone since it has the software on it to
install the O/S again the install of the O?S is on the D drive, which was
placed there by the computer manufacture for a machine that had the O/S
preinstalled.

You want to do a clean install, then you need to purchase a Vista install
DVD, boot off of the DVD, wipe everything off of the drive (format) during
the install and install the O/S.

And if you ever do a clean install, then you would need to go back to the
manufacture's site and install software form the site specific to the model
of the computer and the O/S used, apply the MS Service Pack again, and any
MS updates again.

The very first thing you should have done if you have not done so is burn a
DVD that has the contents of the D drive on it, for back-up purposes.
That's the very first thing you should have done when you purchased the
computer.

I am not trying to be smart here, but you seem bent on shooting yourself in
the foot. :)

.