Re: Replace Vista with XP

jimt wrote:

I'm not new to computers but I have not done many OS installs.

I just got a laptop, A Dell XPS 1530 with Core 2 DUO. It came pre-loaded
with Vista Home Premium. I don't want Vista for several reasons including
bloat and that some of my programs are not compatible.

So, I need to remove Vista and put XP on. I'm certain this is possible,
I'm just not sure what pitfalls there might be and what is the best way to
do this.

Anyone have an essentially foolproof method?

General information about replacing Vista with XP:

A. On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

B. On a generic/home-built computer (from non-OEM company) - You will need
drivers for all your hardware. See the second link below for more details

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

  • Re: Vista to XP Migration.
    ... If there are no XP drivers, ... Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by ... If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can ... http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To ...
  • Re: Downgrade trouble on Satellite A100, please help!
    ... If there are no XP drivers, ... Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling ... Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you ...
  • Re: Re-installing XP on Vista computer
    ... Home on the old computer which is currently running Vista. ... If there are no XP drivers, ... Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling ... Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you ...
  • Re: windows vista
    ... the vista as well as more viruses than on xp version. ... if you have an OEM machine ... If there are no XP drivers, ... Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you ...
  • Re: Vista to XP Migration.
    ... General information about replacing Vista with XP: ... If there are no XP drivers, ... Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling ... Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you ...