Re: Re-Installation of Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

I have done both the F11 and used the supplied dvd (I spent the extra $20 for the media kit) in order to deal with a critical system error that was occuring. In neither case was there an opportunity to enter a product key nor was activation ever required.

Just to check it out, I used VMWare Workstation 6 to create a 64bit virtual machine and when I tried to use the dvd to install VHP x64 in it the installation halted after loading files with the message that the software could not be installed from the dvd on this machine. That's about all I have tried.

So, there's no SLP that I can take advantage of when restoring MY computer.

SLP (System Locked Pre-installation) would not be something you could "take advantage" of.

See this link for a summary of what is involved with "pre-activated" Windows and SLP:
The pertinent section is "Product Activation and new pre-loaded PCs." There is mention of how the pk on the label is used to rescue the customer from a situation where the BIOS ID in the machine no longer matches the BIOS ID recorded in the installation media. Such a situation might occur as the result of the replacement of the mobo with a compatible replacement but on which the BIOS ID is different. Essentially, the pk on the label is a fallback so that the customer can use phone activation in such a scenario. The label is required by MS through their OEM agreements.

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Oa$Xe9I0IHA.5520@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Okay... for what it is worth:
I did not receive an installation disk with my HP laptop. So, there's no
SLP that I can take advantage of when restoring MY computer.
When I re-installed my OS, I used a standard DVD (recovery partition
corrupt) and entered the Product Key on the bottom of the computer. That
required a phone call with a representative to activate.

Another time, after having my recovery partition restored and it going
corrupt again, I found that copying the product key and license file from
the computer before wiping it, installing Vista with a regular DVD, then
restoring the product key and license file put it back to normal (HP OEM)
without requiring activation.

Funny, the product key on the installed and activated HP computer is not
what is on the bottom label of the computer.
------
So, if you use the Product Key on the bottom label and a regular DVD,
you will be on the phone to activate.
Beyond that the OP didn't give a lot of details, so make any other
assumptions you would like.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I believe HP uses SLP technology. If so, activation is not even an issue.
The supplied dvd will not install Windows on another computer so I suspect
they are using SLP.

> As long as the recovery partition is intact, the "extra" activation > file
> HP
> installs remains intact no longer requiring activation. If the recovery
> partition is corrupt or removed, then online activation will be
required.

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> If it is preinstalled it may not even require activation. My wife's >> HP
>> laptop doesn't require entry of a product key or activation no matter
how
>> many times the OS is reinstalled from scratch, either from the >> recovery
>> partition with F11 or by booting with the dvd that shipped with the
unit.

>> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > As Mike stated, your license remains valid for both OS and
>> > applications.
>> >
>> > Just a note:
>> > If your OS came pre-installed, then it is most likely OEM. And, if
OEM,
>> > then
>> > re-activation gets a bit stickier. Microsoft does not have to help
you.
>> > They
>> > will in most cases for reactivation, but they may defer you to the
>> > maker
>> > of
>> > your computer. Be prepared for online activation to fail. You will
have
>> > talk to a real person if it is OEM.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure Office 2003 allowed multiple installations (like 2007.)
>> > Either
>> > way, it will definately re-install on the same machine.
>> >
>> > "Sidd" <Sidd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> When
>> > the

>> > (32
> an

> for
>> > if

  • Re: Installing Vista Ultimate w/sp1 over Home Premium w/sp1
    ... Your Not For Resale product key is a standard retail full edition key. ... Since all dvds are the same, someone else's retail dvd will work just fine regardless of whether they purchased an upgrade or full edition product key or what edition their pk is for. ... You can, of course, use their dvd to perform a clean installation of Vista Ultimate if you prefer that, since you have a full edition product key. ...
  • Re: Modifying Vista Discs
    ... If a product key is not entered, an option screen is presented allowing the choice of edition for a 30 day trial. ... Third-party utilities exist which can create an updated installation image of a particular edition at a service pack level, but not a generic updated installation disk. ... there is no file to delete from the dvd. ...
  • Re: Re-Installation of Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
    ... I did not receive an installation disk with my HP laptop. ... I used a standard DVD (recovery partition ... corrupt) and entered the Product Key on the bottom of the computer. ... after having my recovery partition restored and it going ...
  • Re: DVD Drivers - Does XP SP2 Cause the problems ??
    ... > Check to see if you have any 'alien' CD or DVD tools installed. ... > I tried all available updates, then purged software that still caused ... > My solution is to keep an NT4 installation available and boot it for ... Check for firmware updates for your drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Basic CD+network installation instructions
    ... have another Linux machine around with a DVD drive or a DVD iso image. ... If the installation image is in an .iso file: ... Use the images/diskboot.img file on a USB flash drive. ... the one with only a CD drive and a network connection to ...
    (Fedora)