Re: Right Click Crashes Windows Explorer

I am familair with the Avanquest patch. However, to iinstall it I must be
acting as the Administrator. To run the patch as Administrator, I must be
able to right click. And all of of a sudden I am caught in a Catch-22: I
have no right-click functionality to run the patch that will restore
right-click functionality.

Is there a way to run the patch as Administrator without right-clicking?

BTW, I uninstalled PowerDesk; and I still had the same problem with Windows
Explorer -- no ability to right click, e.g., to change a file's name

"Stewart" <yferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Terry Smerling" <smerling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you for the quick reply. Before I posted I tried ShellExView and
disabled all non-MS context menu handlers, but the problem continued
nonetheless. Any other ideas?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
Hi Terry,

This is most likely caused by a third-party shell extension. See "Method
2" here:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"Terry Smerling" <smerling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Each time I attempt a right click to access the context menu Windows
Explorer crashes. This is true whether I use Explorer or PowerDesk Pro
7 as my file manager. As a result I am unable to zip files, rename
files or run executables as the Administrtor. The error message I get
is simply that "Windows Explorer has stopped working." I suspected
that possibly Norton 360 was the culprit, but I disabled Norton 360 and
the problem persists. I believe this problem did not start until I
installed Vista's SP1. I am running Vista Home Premium on a powerful
MicroExpress machine with ample RAM. Any ideas or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

It is in fact a conflict between Power Desk 7 and Norton 360. See
http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&message.id=607&query.id=15033#M607
Hope it helps.

  • Re: Hilfe-Ratgeber funktiert nicht richtig
    ... Explorer, ... Wenn der Patch so wichtig ist, ... aufgeführten Dateien stimmen mit den meinigen überein. ... Security Bulletin MS03-048; das entsprechende Patch ist ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.win98.allgemein)
  • Re: Seltsamer Prozess der svchost lastet CPU aus - Virus?
    ... solche Zwecke aber lieber Explorer++, ... Ich lese das mal als "okay, UAC macht tatsächlich Workflows kaputt, ... Umgebungen, wo mir der Account "Administrator" nicht zu Gebote steht, ... administrative Aufgaben ausführen musst? ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: explorer.exe closes and restarts (a circulus viciosus)
    ... Click 'next' at the dialog box to confirm uninstalling the patch. ... Explorer.exe starts and startup programs begin loading. ... dies or somehow stops as if I had terminated it's ... >> explorer opnes and closes fater 2-3 seconds continuously. ...
  • Re: Seltsamer Prozess der svchost lastet CPU aus - Virus?
    ... solche Zwecke aber lieber Explorer++, ... Ich lese das mal als "okay, UAC macht tatsächlich Workflows kaputt, ... Umgebungen, wo mir der Account "Administrator" nicht zu Gebote steht, ... kann es in Win 8 schlicht ignorieren und arbeitet so ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: RUNAS when a user is just in the user group
    ... Login as a local administrator or user with admin rights that you will use then to run-as explorer. ... The open Explorer goto Tools - Folder Options - View and select 'Launch folder windows in a seperate process'. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)