Re: Installing 64bit Vista with SATA drives

The Vista Load Drivers option is more flexible than XP's F6 functionality. You can put the software on the hard drive, on a usb stick, or leave them on the cd and do a media swap. You will have an opportunity to point Setup to the location. My favorite is a usb stick. That way I don't have to figure out when it is OK swap back the media.

"Ron O'Brien" <castcall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ujBREJV1IHA.5472@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message news:u1Ox4$U1IHA.4772@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You do know that raid 0 has no redundency, lose one hd and you lose everything.

You first read the mobo manual to see whether you have to amend bios settings for raid,
You configure the raid in the raid bios, then install win

Yes I am aware of the drawback of RAID0 - I need all the speed I can get for HD video editing.

I am aware of the BIOS settings in relation to RAID it is more what to expect during installation, like I said, it's things like how do I format the drives and how do I install the SATA drivers when I only have one DVD/CD Drive and no floppy.

I would hope it all becomes obvious as you progress but, as I also said, I don't like surprises and in my experience Microsoft are good at throwing up surprises!!

Ron

  • Re: Trying to partition a 400 GB drive in one FAT 32 partition....
    ... >to move all that data to a new disk format. ... >format for this new disk and then reformat the older drives as I move ... >I don't need a RAID, and I don't want to lug around a RAID laptop (or ... >pay for the expense of a RAID laptop) when all I need is a USB drive. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Extend my primary partition
    ... You'd get better performance hooking a USB 2 drive up to a networked PC, ... Independent Experts (MVPs do not work for MS) ... Are you trying to add the extra drive to the RAID 5 or to the RAID 1 ... spare) SCSI drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Hard Drivin
    ... I believe RAID is a little beyond my capabilities right ... advice to go with the USB from Smitty and Steve. ... drives), only need to worry about cloning if the drive in your computer ... planning on getting a new puter, or changing operating systems, or restore ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Extend my primary partition
    ... You'd get better performance hooking a USB 2 drive up to a networked PC, then connect to that over the network than run on USB 1.1. ... Independent Experts (MVPs do not work for MS) ... Are you trying to add the extra drive to the RAID 5 or to the RAID 1 ... spare) SCSI drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: photo computers: dual core, dual cpu, or single?
    ... The problem is it is usb 1 only, ... I need to run more than two disk drives, ... SATA or SCSI will do fine. ... I run raid systems at work and am considering it ...
    (rec.photo.digital)