Re: Partitioning Hard Drive

If you keep your data on a separate partition you can, with the right type of software, create an image of the system partition only - and then restore the system partition in case of problems - without losing your data.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Gene L." <Camelotscc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23PxPFyDXKHA.220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dave:
Sorry to persist but why would one wish to keep data separate from the system files? I really appreciate your time in preparing this reply. Am I naive in this situation?
Thanks.
Gene

"Dave" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23hYI0VDXKHA.1236@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
when you want to boot with another operating system,
when you want to keep data separate from the system files,
etc.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95398-disk-management-shrink-partition.html

--
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Gene L." <Camelotscc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0415F36E-E89F-4E63-8A22-43FA226A2929@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
Thanks for any help on this issue.
Gene L.

  • Re: System Partition too small on new Notebook
    ... Program Volume through that folder. ... When I loaded the system and applications... ... and all applications were loaded on the separate volume. ... > You don't have to install applications on the system partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Master boot record
    ... Is the master boot record part of the system partition ... or separate from the system partition? ... does the MBR go with it or does it ...
  • Master boot record
    ... Is the master boot record part of the system partition ... or separate from the system partition? ... does the MBR go with it or does it ...
  • Re: Running out of space on system partition
    ... the only part of exchange that is located ... > on this partition is the system files. ... >> You need to see where on your system partition the space is being ... >> an exchange aware backup program right?? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.win2000)
  • Re: Rebuilding boot.ini
    ... You mean system partition not boot correct? ... Clear as mud but Windows always starts from the ... should correctly point to the drive/partition where the system files are ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)