Re: VGA to DVI?

I am now confused I am not sure what works and what does not work.
When you say when attached directly to a Samsung Flat Panel Monitor "It" functions I am not sure what "it: is.
Is "it" a direct VGA connection from a 15 pin Din connector on the graphics card to the monitor. Or is it a DVI_I to VGA adapter to a VGA cable to the monitor?

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C7C2AA33-A909-4BAA-B3A2-E1BE22892CBF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When attached directly to a Samsung flat panel monitor (its mate for two years) it functions flawlessly, using VGA cable.
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OuNKnxaVKHA.508@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All DVI to VGA or DVI to Component adapters are DVI-I to XXX adapters since they are using the 4 analog pins on a graphics card DVI-I( the I stands for integrated digital and analog support capable) connector to provide the VGA or Component content. If your graphics card and drivers do not support the output of VGA using the 4 analog pins then the adapter can not do anything since there is no analog signal available to connect to.
Cables are not an issue since you are trying to use an adapter an not a cable.

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uroAUlaVKHA.4360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Curious, just an update. I have been to the Iogear web site. I found one bit of information. The connector should be a DVI-I to VGA. I have chased all over town and the only connector that mentions DVI-I is a Radio Shack item that reads "DVI-A Female to HDD/VGA Male Adapter." It didn't work. On the back is a note that reads: "Note: This adapter works with DVI-A (analog) and DVI-I (digital and analog integrate) cables. It does not work with DVI-D (digital) cables."
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uHAa8qQVKHA.3720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a 8500GT card and there is no dongle for it to connect to VGA using a DVI-VGA adapter. My card came with a 7Pin round mini pin connection and a dongle for it that supports a component or S-video connection. My card also has a standard VGA connection. Each manufacturer of 8500GT cards can have different output connections and connection options. So the specific make of your 8500GT card is important to know its abilities.

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:64345EF0-F6AA-4F71-B7BC-C13A49F3A0AB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GeForce 8500 GT, I see nothing on the NVIDIA site that explains...
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ONlr3cPVKHA.220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unless the specs or instructions for the graphics card in your XP machine specifically state that can output either DVI using a DVI cable or VGA using a DVI to VGA connector(dongle) the odds are that it does not.

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:159F49E8-D8E7-40EC-B7B1-102D6FDEBEFA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a nearly new XP machine. I also have a new Win7 machine. I continually work on other computers for our computer club.

I have bought a 4 port KVM switch with DVI in and out. My XP machine (although it has a DVI connection on the back of the video card) won't connect. I have now added a DVI to VGA connector at the XP machine. Still won't recognize the monitor. The Win7 machine has no problem with it.

Thoughts? Thanks

  • Re: [OT] realtek network card: how to find why card wont sync at 100Mbps against anything
    ... >> its the internal cable connecting the card to the external port or if ... Have you tried different ethernet cables? ... chip's connection on the motherboard to the external port (its a laptop). ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: My Second Sight on eBay and its connectors
    ... - on the upper left side of the card are the two RGB and VGA outputs, ... You must mean the "P3" jumper pins. ... Most people used the card with a VGA display, ... Those are the only cables that shipped with the card. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: VGA to DVI?
    ... When attached directly to a Samsung flat panel monitor it functions flawlessly, using VGA cable. ... If your graphics card and drivers do not support the output of VGA using the 4 analog pins then the adapter can not do anything since there is no analog signal available to connect to. ... On the back is a note that reads: "Note: This adapter works with DVI-A and DVI-I cables. ... My card came with a 7Pin round mini pin connection and a dongle for it that supports a component or S-video connection. ...
  • Re: Searching for good video output: high quality 13W3 to VGA adapter? Elite3D card?
    ... I've got two VGA adapters for my Ultra 10 now to get ... card work in this Ultra10 Creator3D machine?... ... Ultra Spec Cables P/N 1395-SUN will support high resolutions, ... I was thinking 13W3 male and then about 5-6' of cable and then VGA male. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Re: VGA to DVI?
    ... When you say when attached directly to a Samsung Flat Panel Monitor "It" ... Is "it" a direct VGA connection from a 15 pin Din connector on the graphics ... with DVI-A and DVI-I cables. ...