Re: Vista 64-bit error 8020

I'm using a Prolific USB to serial cable to interface with a front door
call box. (A directory of residents in a multiple).
This thing (the call box) isn't exactly new technology, although the
box is brand new. Here's the thing...when I test the connection
everything appears to be fine but when I ask the software, (Tricomm) to
access the database or just communicate with the box I receive "Runtime
error 8020..error reading comm device."

A different laptop (not mine) running windows xp sp3 which actually has
a serial port (I only have USB, hence the converter) connects and
functions just fine.

I downloaded the latest drivers for the converter after emailing the
manufacturer but I receive the same error message.Is the problem most
likely the 64 bit operating system, the converter (QVS.com model
UR-2000M2), a bad serial cable (connected to the converter) or Vista
itself? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

--
rjburr1
rjburr1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/144003.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: REQ: major electronics analysis project help needed TIA
    ... and taking multiple samples can help around that. ... >Do you need RMS measurements only, or must you detect variations in the ... >available) All the sources are analog, ... >That may be within the converter, or a separate entity nearer the ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: REQ: major electronics analysis project help needed TIA
    ... but preliminary data acquisition will need to ... and taking multiple samples can help around that. ... available) All the sources are analog, ... That may be within the converter, or a separate entity nearer the ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: TV Tuner and Digital cable
    ... have a typical Time Warner Cable box setup with a HD DVR converter box ... The cable connection which provides my high-speed ... channels and the antenna pulls in a few HD over-the-air signals. ... They also have the same converter boxes as the HD ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Turn a TV into PC
    ... I imagined a similar apparatus to a Converter or Decoder that it could be placed over a television set, with an infrared sensor what would receive a lightly more complicated signal that that of a remote control of TV, since it would come from a wireless standard infrared keyboard for PC, with incorporate touchpad to replace the mouse. ... Besides the traditional input of video signal by coaxial cable and the output to the TV, this apparatus would have a connection with a PC that could be by means of an UTP cable with connectors RJ-45 for a standard Ethernet 100BaseT LAN network, or by means of the same coaxial cable. ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: How exactly does a Dolby Digital sound card work with MCE 2005
    ... Is all I need a stereo headphone jack to RCA converter? ... > need to know the type of connection the card uses for digital out. ... > you're using on the PC supports it the sound card should send the audio data ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)