Re: Device Manager auto-search internet & download/install

I would use # 2.

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote in message news:ugUB78gSKHA.352@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bob -- Agreed that we download the latest driver install package from the OEM website.

What I'm asking is which technique do you prefer :

1. using Device Manager to Update Driver Software and then Browse to the folder of the driver package downloaded from the OEM website

2. if an .exe installer is provided in the OEM install package, then run it directly and let it handle everything for you

There is a difference.

"Bob" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23E3$64gSKHA.1268@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John - I think I already answered your question.

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote in message news:e8hW9reSKHA.4004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok, so once I've downloaded the latest OEM driver install package ...

Do you recommend using the driver install package that the OEM supplies ?

Or do you recommend using Computer Management > Device Manager to update the driver ?

"Bob" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e2F5KUeSKHA.4692@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Never update drivers via the generic automatic updates. They are often outdated.

Update drivers on your OEM's or device manufacturer's website.

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote in message news:%234kv9HeSKHA.352@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When using Computer Management > Device Manager :

Generally speaking is it a good idea to let it automatically search the internet for the latest device driver , download it , and install it ?

How well does this technology work ?

Thanks.

  • Re: Usb driver issues
    ... Open up device manager via My Computer, ... may have a yellow exclamation mark next to it, right click, update driver, ... I tried also to hook up my canon video camera ...
  • Re: earthnet driver for vista on imac ?
    ... Device Manager will show up - click it, it will ask permission, click ... Click Update Driver ... Select the first entry "Generic Marvell Yukon ..." ...
    (microsoft.public.macintosh.general)
  • Re: 2003 server will no longer detect cdrom
    ... Have you tried in Device Manager, to right click the device, and select ... Update Driver?? ... > after uninstalling a cd authoring piece of software the ... > damn thing un-installed the driver for the cdrom. ...
  • Re: Reboot several times a day
    ... > FWIW, I went through device manager last night and clicked on update driver ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: sound does not work
    ... it tells me that windows cant find a better driver for it. ... "NOTEKY" wrote: ... > Did you try "update driver" in Device Manager? ...