Re: trouble installing second dvd drive

Tae Song

Thanks. I know nothing about Dell's motherboards. Was just an educated guess since this type of post has happened many times before

--
Peter

"Tae Song" <tae_song@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3C0B338F-422A-422A-B4B5-2FBE13E46BBB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"mitchbryan" <mitchbryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:25fc73e5-212c-47e2-bf72-7709dce8ae5e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
the motherboard is a dell inspiron 531 and all cables are working
(power and data) and both drives are fine.

i havent got the manual for the motherboard.

i am goin to look in the bios for an option i have heard about - sata
1+2 being disabled. hopefully this will solve it.

Manuals for Dell Inspiron 531
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/en/index.htm

Double check the SATA connections. They can slide off easily unless they have the clips. And make sure they're lined up correctly. SATA connectors aren't very reliable. I have 4 SATA hard drives (3 for RAID, 1 for backup), a SATA DVD-RAM and 1 SATA ramdisk drive and had problems getting them all recognized cause they weren't completely inserted properly. I stick my hand in to push one in and end up loosening another. Really annoying.

.