Re: trouble installing second dvd drive

Tae Song

Thanks. I know nothing about Dell's motherboards. Was just an educated guess since this type of post has happened many times before

--
Peter

"Tae Song" <tae_song@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3C0B338F-422A-422A-B4B5-2FBE13E46BBB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"mitchbryan" <mitchbryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:25fc73e5-212c-47e2-bf72-7709dce8ae5e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
the motherboard is a dell inspiron 531 and all cables are working
(power and data) and both drives are fine.

i havent got the manual for the motherboard.

i am goin to look in the bios for an option i have heard about - sata
1+2 being disabled. hopefully this will solve it.

Manuals for Dell Inspiron 531
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/en/index.htm

Double check the SATA connections. They can slide off easily unless they have the clips. And make sure they're lined up correctly. SATA connectors aren't very reliable. I have 4 SATA hard drives (3 for RAID, 1 for backup), a SATA DVD-RAM and 1 SATA ramdisk drive and had problems getting them all recognized cause they weren't completely inserted properly. I stick my hand in to push one in and end up loosening another. Really annoying.

  • Re: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and ICH5R support
    ... I think that I have that board in my proxy server and I am using sata ... drives with ICH5... ... > motherboards, and is there someone willing to loan their machine to the ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Safest Hard Drives - or other archiving media (WD Caviar Black)
    ... It is NOT backwards compatible with SATA 1.5Gb/s ... controller common as dirt? ... Or is that unique to motherboards that ... problem would also occur with SATA II drives. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Full Hard drive
    ... drive you are planning to connect. ... Older motherboards may not accept SATA ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: What interface to choose for a new hard drive
    ... SATA 150, and the regular EIDE. ... All my current drives are EIDE. ... there are already some motherboards that only have a ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: eSATA support
    ... SATA drive: a harddrive that uses the SATA interface. ... It has these maddingly easy to break off data cable connector. ... most prevalent of all the SATA drives in the market. ... eSATA connector is different. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)