RE: PLease help with sataII hdd drive install

It was the boot files, i recloned and put in the boot filesand it runs fine
now, thank you very much indeed, all of you :D

"joe" wrote:

Hi all,

Just brought a 1tb hdd samsung for my dell inspiron. I replaced my original
wd 250gb hdd port space with this one (on serial 0) in my inspiron 530 and
stuck the original 250gb hdd on another spare port.(serial 4) I ghosted an
image of the original hdd onto the samsung using norton ghost 14.

However when i boot the pc back up the primary hdd is always the original wd
250gb hdd and the samsung is allocated another drive letter and is not
running the os even though all files appear to be installed.

When i disconnected the original hdd wd 250gb and just try to boot the new
samsung 1tb it wont boot and says the disk is not bootable when i try to
physically boot it. Which i guess is why the other disk normally boots up
instead.

When i ghosted the hdd i selected it to be an active boot disk. There were
also no jump/switches on the new hdd so there was nothing i can set manually
on the hdd.

Can anyone help. I just want the 1tb disk to be my primary drive which boots.

p.s

i tried Hard Drive Diagnostics in the boot options but this doesnt load. I
also went to disk management in vista and it does list my samsung 1tb hdd as
the primary active partition.

I run the vista recover cd and that detects no problem with the vista os on
that drive yet it simply doesn't boot.

Its very frustrating, any help is greatly appreciated.

  • Re: New HDD Installation
    ... while your installation is up and running use the Disk Management tool and make sure that you have a properly identified System Partition and that it is marked as "Active". ... If it is so identified and marked and still won't boot then do both commands as Ron suggested. ... Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console ... It would take awhile but I am willing to start fresh if it gets the new HDD in and the small out. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New HDD Installation
    ... while your installation is up and running use the Disk Management ... I was able to boot the system with the XP cd but I believe that a boot ... Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console ... if it gets the new HDD in and the small out. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: New HDD Installation
    ... while your installation is up and running use the Disk Management tool and make sure that you have a properly identified System Partition and that it is marked as "Active". ... I was able to boot the system with the XP cd but I believe that a boot sector must be missing as per Ron's advice. ... Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console ... It would take awhile but I am willing to start fresh if it gets the new HDD in and the small out. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • XP Pro boot hanging
    ... Digital HDD, for Sager laptop; using Acronis True Image 11, boot disk. ... Neither drive will boot into Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to load XP on Toshiba Portege 3500
    ... I already have a 5gg HDD with XP on it which was loaded on the offending ... Martin Morrow ... It seems your boot CD may be called the "Ultimate Boot CD" ... can turn the disk into a slave disk on any DOS-booted PC. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)