Re: How do I access info on 2nd drive thats not being recognized?

Hi, oduinn.

When we move a previously-formatted HDD to a different computer, Windows may have trouble recognizing the HDD and the partitions on it. To Vista, now that you've installed it on your new 1 TB HDD, it's a "new computer" and your 149 GB HDD is a "foreign disk", which must be "imported" so that your "new computer" can recognize it and work with it.

The Help file for Disk Management says:
"On the new computer, open Disk Management. Click Action and then click Rescan Disks. Right-click any disk marked Foreign, click Import Foreign Disks, and then follow the instructions on your screen."

Try Rescan Disks and see if it sees your 149 GB HDD as a "foreign disk".

It you need help to go from there, please post back. In any case, please post back and let us know how it goes.

R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
Microsoft Windows MVP

"oduinn" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3280ccf85cb2925431a5d77bdcf0f32f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been reading up on why Vista 64 won't recognize my SATA 2nd drive.
(I'm new to all this and trying to figure it out as I go...)

I've read that I need to format the drive in 'Computer Management',
however, I'm not wishing to format it, I'm wishing to get the info from

Computer Management shows -
Disk 1 (C:) 935 GB NTFS
Disk 2 149 GB Unallocated

Previously, when I bought this computer, it had 2 HDD, both the 149 in
SATA. One went bad so I bought the 1TB thinking I'd be better off. Had
to buy a new Vista 64 bit, but since then I can't figure out how to
access the other disk.

Thanks in advance!