Re: How do I access info on 2nd drive thats not being recognized?

Hi, oduinn.

When we move a previously-formatted HDD to a different computer, Windows may have trouble recognizing the HDD and the partitions on it. To Vista, now that you've installed it on your new 1 TB HDD, it's a "new computer" and your 149 GB HDD is a "foreign disk", which must be "imported" so that your "new computer" can recognize it and work with it.

The Help file for Disk Management says:
"On the new computer, open Disk Management. Click Action and then click Rescan Disks. Right-click any disk marked Foreign, click Import Foreign Disks, and then follow the instructions on your screen."

Try Rescan Disks and see if it sees your 149 GB HDD as a "foreign disk".

It you need help to go from there, please post back. In any case, please post back and let us know how it goes.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"oduinn" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3280ccf85cb2925431a5d77bdcf0f32f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been reading up on why Vista 64 won't recognize my SATA 2nd drive.
(I'm new to all this and trying to figure it out as I go...)

I've read that I need to format the drive in 'Computer Management',
however, I'm not wishing to format it, I'm wishing to get the info from
it.

Computer Management shows -
Disk 1 (C:) 935 GB NTFS
Disk 2 149 GB Unallocated

Previously, when I bought this computer, it had 2 HDD, both the 149 in
SATA. One went bad so I bought the 1TB thinking I'd be better off. Had
to buy a new Vista 64 bit, but since then I can't figure out how to
access the other disk.

Thanks in advance!

--
oduinn

  • Re: My miserable experiences in testing and "removing" the "Acronis [alleged] True Image 11 Home" Ba
    ... specific interest is with reference to a disk imaging program (as opposed to ... a disk cloning program), I would assume that your *basic* objective is ... source HDD so that if the recipient of the clone is an internal HDD, ... large-capacity hard drives we do not feel this advantage is of major import ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: need a good backup method or program
    ... I have gone with the Casper 4.0 option, it is very user friendly and gives me exactly ... I'm assuming you've had little or no experience with disk imaging/disk ... that cloned HDD will be bootable and its data immediately accessible, ... Note, however, that should the recipient of the clone be a USB or Firewire ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Setting up an external hard drive - partioning and sharing issues
    ... program involving some hundreds of disk -cloning operations... ... day-to-day working HDD to another HDD, ... complete clone of the source disk, ... HDDs involved in the disk-cloning operation are the *identical* drives ...
  • Re: OT-True Image Backup
    ... Make sure the USB drives file system is NTFS and not FAT32.. ... Jaymon is correct in that the disk image you create and save to the D: ... partition of your USB external HDD will have no effect on the other ... Step-by-Step Instructions for Using the Acronis True Image Program to Backup ...
  • Re: need a good backup method or program
    ... I then scheduled a daily backup at midnight with the PC being turned offf ... I have gone with the Casper 4.0 option, it is very user friendly and gives ... I'm assuming you've had little or no experience with disk imaging/disk ... copy of the HDD so that if the recipient of the "clone" is an internal ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)