Re: USB or HDD as backup

If I had to choose DVD backup or a external drive that had sufficient
space on it, I would choose the external drive without hesitation. DVD
can scratch - rendering the information useless -

Put a back DVD into a case and set it on a shelf. It's not going to get scratched. Even if it does there's a degree of error checking inherent in the media handling. Not a lot, but certainly enough to deal with a few minor scratches. This is backup media here, not something that's going to see repeated used.

where as a drive is pretty stable.

No, they're not. There are considerably more risks for failure in a rotating media hard drive than other forms of media. Sure, a cheap DVD can fail. But a hard drive accidentally knocked off a shelf is MUCH more likely to become completely unusuable.

The best advice is to have more than one backup and actually try re-reading data off of them from time to time.

-Bill Kearney

  • RE: recording tv program from hard drive to dvd
    ... Activate media center from scratch ... Assuming a you already have a DVD disk in the drive the Burning program will allow you to Burn at this time ... It even worked in my dvd player in my home by starting of with the same burn page. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: simple DVD editing tool?
    ... but I do copy my own media so I don't have to pay for it again ... when the DVD get a scratch. ... it makes sense to copy the DVD and let they use the copied one whilst the original is kept safe on a shelf out of reach! ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: DVD playback, thats were it started for me
    ... XP Profesional Media Center Edition ... watch the same DVD, kept getting errors, and would not play. ... I have kept up with the latest downloads, updates, update rollups, service ... Always the same error messages, but on occasions another error message ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Building a Media Center all in one box
    ... > First can anyone that has used both tivo and media center comment on a ... Tivo is fairly idiot proof and features a very nice search ... And you can burn content on DVD. ... > operas that are done with enhanced audio for surround sound. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: DVD playback, thats were it started for me
    ... XP Profesional Media Center Edition ... watch the same DVD, kept getting errors, and would not play. ... window to pop up after 30-40 seconds of DVD play is; ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)