External HDD Plug & Play Problem

Connected to my notebook via a powered hub are two external drives . I have it configured such that when I return from work I plug in the USB hub open my notebook lid and the external drives are immediately recognised and fire away. I have never had to reboot and it has worked well for 6 months. Then 3 days ago for no apparent reason my notebook would not display either of the drives under Start | Computer. Rebooting fixes this problem but is a pain (this takes several minutes at the moment). Curiously under the Device Manager both drives are shown and under Properties for each is displayed "This device is working properly." I have tried plugging the hub into a different USB port to no avail and I have tried plugging each drive directly into the notebook bypassing the hub. This results in the notebook recognising new hardware and successful installation but again the drive doesn't show. Any ideas on how to sort this problem out? Many thanks. pbl

  • Re: usb hub
    ... If the drives are USB powered and the hub does not have an external ... high power draw devices attached to the hub will cause similar problems (ie. ... i have a usb 2.0 hub and was wondering if i have 2 external drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: OT: PC help
    ... The Hitachi drives are the best in my opinion, ... Later is was SCSI cards with now a LAN+Modem card, ... When I bought my current notebook, it came with a single PC-card slot and I ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
  • Re: Sturmy Archer 8 speed
    ... >> and then found the hub slipping in third. ... >> make sure it stayed in that gear, and sure enough it would spin as ... > Let's rule out any worn bits such as the clutch and pins (pedaling ... generate a skew between "clutch" and the pins that it drives. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: OT: PC help
    ... The Hitachi drives are the best in my opinion, ... Later is was SCSI cards with now a LAN+Modem card, ... When I bought my current notebook, it came with a single PC-card slot and I ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
  • NTLDR missing
    ... NTLDR is the ... part of windows that loads up the rest of the system. ... drives themselves. ... >I bought my notebook when I worked in Singapore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)