Re: Unalocated Disk Space

I got it now.

Thanks to all for the enlightenment,
James

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3922B5E7-E295-4A35-A244-BC0273654B0A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e4%23gfMpIKHA.1684@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I interpreted the OP's post to mean that the had a 160GB HDD with 10GB unallocated and not a 160MB HDD with 10MB unallocated
Also I have always been under the impression that the space for reserved restore points did not show up as allocated on a HDD partition.
Also I have never heard of "Aligning Partitions" before nor could I find any information about it using Bing

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4369ABC5-11CA-43D9-8F4E-86818D687134@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uG6$z7lIKHA.2516@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I thought the space might be the space reserved by the OS for restore points.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eX1i2wlIKHA.4608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi JamesJ,

It's a leftover bit from aligning the partition, quite normal.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OGzrUdlIKHA.1340@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a 160mb internal hard drive with 1 partition (ntfs). Vista sp2.
When viewing drive info 3rd party software is showing the used space and also 10mb of unallocated space.
Anyone know what this unallocated space is?

Thanks,
James

10GB maybe, but not 10MB.

He's says 10MB. That is a typical amount "left over" after formatting most drives and is due to the way formatting works. Many users wonder about it and I have seen the question many times. I think he really meant MBs.

.