Re: Unalocated Disk Space

Ok.

Thanks,
James

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:081C28F1-3DC1-4FC1-A21C-28E9A29FAE6F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OcLUEJqIKHA.1336@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I haven't heard of it either.
A partition manager is reporting my drive's capacity as 149GB with 9MB unallocated.
I'm trying to find a way to allocate ALL the drive space.

James

"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e4%23gfMpIKHA.1684@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I interpreted the OP's post to mean that the had a 160GB HDD with 10GB unallocated and not a 160MB HDD with 10MB unallocated
Also I have always been under the impression that the space for reserved restore points did not show up as allocated on a HDD partition.
Also I have never heard of "Aligning Partitions" before nor could I find any information about it using Bing

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4369ABC5-11CA-43D9-8F4E-86818D687134@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uG6$z7lIKHA.2516@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I thought the space might be the space reserved by the OS for restore points.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eX1i2wlIKHA.4608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi JamesJ,

It's a leftover bit from aligning the partition, quite normal.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JamesJ" <jjy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OGzrUdlIKHA.1340@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a 160mb internal hard drive with 1 partition (ntfs). Vista sp2.
When viewing drive info 3rd party software is showing the used space and also 10mb of unallocated space.
Anyone know what this unallocated space is?

Thanks,
James

10GB maybe, but not 10MB.

You can't. It is normal and is right in line with my experience with formatted drives. The manufacturer always provides "extra" sectors to allow for bad sectors detected later by the disk manager in your OS as well as partition alignment as commented on by Rick Rogers above. It is roughly analogous to the margins used by a printer. The disk manager can "borrow" sectors from the unallocated area if it has to mark any allocated sectors as "bad."

  • Re: Unalocated Disk Space
    ... I'm trying to find a way to allocate ALL the drive space. ... Also I have always been under the impression that the space for reserved restore points did not show up as allocated on a HDD partition. ... The manufacturer always provides "extra" sectors to allow for bad sectors detected later by the disk manager in your OS as well as partition alignment as commented on by Rick Rogers above. ...
  • Re: Hard drive errors?
    ... larger partition. ... >> The hard drives reserve an amount of space on the outer cylinders to ... >> as alternate sectors when the drive internally detects an error. ... >> Your drive apparently had to allocate additional space for alternate ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: File Encryption : how I tricked myself
    ... Sounds more like you don't know the difference between a logical and physical partition image. ... Acronis TrueImage Home reads through the file system so what it saves are logical images, plus TI Home does *not* support VSS so there are problems saving inuse or locked files. ... It had the feature that it could read through recognized file systems in that partition to see which sectors were not allocated and wouldn't bother to include those in the image file. ... Norton Ghost used to default to saving logical images unless you specified a switch to make it save physical images. ...
  • Re: Event ID 11 - please help
    ... a ton of drives. ... > two more SATA WD 120 GB drives connected to the Promise controller ... > Offset Length Sectors ... > Type Indicator Partition Partition ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • [opensuse] Disk Drive Technology and partition alignment [WAS: ]Re: 12.3 + ntfs + ext4 + USB3 + diff
    ... It is time for you to enter the 21st century in respects to disk ... drive is meaningless in modern rotating drives. ... I state that the S value for sectors per track is not ... Depends on what disk partition tool you use, but I don't know of any ...
    (SuSE)