DVD drive uninstalled??

Greetings:

I'm running windows Vista on an HP Pavilion. Recently, I went to use my DVD ROM and discovered the icon was missing from "My computer"......

This happened before with XP, and with XP I removed the appropriate Upper and Lower filters in the registry, restarted, and all was well.

I tried this with vista and the upper and lower filters were not present.

I ran a system profile and found my drive (HL DT ST DVD RAM GH IOL) was listed as uninstalled.

Can anyone help with this problem? I would be most grateful for any nfo. -Steve

.